Chapter 3

April 16, 2000

The next morning came quicker than Hermione wanted it to. She wished she could lay in her new ridiculously comfortable bed with satin navy sheets, throw the pillow over her face, and dive right back into that peaceful, simple, happy dream that had escaped her as soon as the sunlight peeked through the curtains.

"Good morning, Mistress," a high pitched voice sang from across the room. Hermione rolled towards the voice, rubbing her eyes as the sound of the curtains pulling back gave her a second's warning before the room filled with light. It was the house elf from yesterday, who Hermione had seen only a handful of times since they had tea.

"Good morning, Moppy," she called back, voice still thick with sleep. Clearing her throat, Hermione slowly sat up and swung her legs off the side of the bed. Moppy already unpacked all of Hermione's clothes shortly after the bags arrived at the Manor, and the elf was pacing the closet picking out a few dresses and laying them on the edge of the bed.

"Oh, Moppy, I thought we talked about this, I can do all that," Hermione began, now fully out of bed and following the small creature back into the closet across the room.

Moppy laughed, a twinkling sound that made Hermione smile. "Mistress, Moppy is wanting to help Mistress get ready for the day. Moppy has not had a Mistress since Master Theo's mother died many years ago. Moppy wants to help Mistress Amelia. Is Mistress wanting a bath?"

"But Moppy, I am perfectly capable of doing these things for myself. I will not have you waiting on me like a slave! It's honestly absurd so many families still have such an archaic way of functioning!" Hermione huffed, crossing her arms. "I suppose I would like a bath though." She murmured to herself, heading to the attached ensuite to start her own bath.

Moppy apparated around Hermione, rolling her eyes at her as she drew the bath and added some light fragrance oils into the pouring water. "Moppy is not a slave , Mistress. Moppy has served House Nott for centuries, and Moppy's mother for centuries before her. Moppy is happy, appreciated, and has a purpose. Does Mistress know of house elf and family bonds?"

Hermione frowned. "Not much, I must admit." A lavender and citrus aroma drifted up from the bathtub and joined at Hermione's nose. She took another deep breath, allowing the tension building in her muscles to subside.

Moppy motioned for Hermione to start undressing as the water in the bathtub neared the top edge. "Moppy's family has been attached to House Nott for centuries. When the agreement between houses and elves was made, it joined the sacred magic of both wizards and elves," Hermione, now undressed, sunk into the water that was exactly the perfect temperature with a sigh. "It strengthened all involved. For the elves, it provided family magic to draw off of and stabilize our own. Elves can do more complex magic when attached to a family than if they are freed or work for money without the blood magic that links us. For the families we serve, we is built-in allies they know they can trust completely. House elves don't just do the laundry and make food, Mistress. House elves like Moppy take care of children, maintain priceless family heirlooms, protect the families they serve. If Moppy were freed, Moppy would mourn the family Moppy has known all of Moppy's life. Moppy would have failed Moppy's family and the noble House of Nott, and Moppy would lose almost all of Moppy's magic."

Hermione gasped. "Oh Moppy, I had no idea. I just was under the impression that it was only the wizarding families that benefited. I still don't want to do anything that would make your life more difficult, however."

Moppy smiled and shook her head as she collected the discarded clothes on the floor. "Mistress has much to learn. And Mistress is not making Moppy's life difficult at all. It has been such a long time since Moppy has even touched a dress."