006. the astronomy tower

Start from the beginning

"It's peaceful." Regulus states as he stares back at the hills.

"Yeah."

"Somehow I feel like we only talk civilly when we're a dangerous height off the ground." Regulus remarks and Maria laughs. It's a small laugh, barely loud enough for his ears to make out. But she did. And he heard.

The brown eyed girl sighs quietly and hands her cigarette to Regulus who looks from it to her before gently taking it from her and taking a long drag, inhaling the deadly chemicals before handing it back to her.

"Why are you up here?" Regulus inquires and Maria looks at him, noticing how actually genuine he sounds.

"James is making me take a day off." Regulus' eyebrows furrow so she elaborates, "he's convinced I'm too sick to go to class."

"Did you go to Madam Promfrey?" To this, Maria nods with a small eye roll, "what did she say?"

"She said that James was overreacting, like I did, and then he proceeded to say that he's head boy and that his student is sick." Maria smiles slightly, sounding amused at her brother's behaviour.

Regulus gives a half smile before looking back to the view, the sun now setting in beautiful pinks and oranges. Regulus' mind travels to Sirius, wondering what it would be like if he hadn't fought with their mother that night, if he hadn't left. He doesn't let himself dwell on it usually, his parents are horrible people and treated Sirius terribly.

In fact, Sirius was the only reason that Regulus never got scolded or hit, because Sirius would always take the blame, feeling responsible for his little brother's protection — considering their parents didn't.

But now Sirius is gone. And Regulus is left alone with his parents — who are now worse than ever because they're still furious that Sirius embarrassed them by running off to live with the Potters.

"What was wrong, the other days in potions?" Regulus questions and Maria purses her lips.

"It's a long story."

"I can keep up." Regulus smirks and Maria rolls her eyes, the faintest smile on her lips, "and I'm also quite a good listener."

"Really?" Maria laughs, looking at him in fake shock, "Regulus Black. The person who always interrupts my sentences is a good listener?"

"Okay, okay." Regulus says, "I'm a good listener, when I want to be."
"You're a dick." Maria deadpans and Regulus rolls his eyes with a smirk.

"You're only saying that because you secretly have a thing for me." Regulus winks and she laughs, properly this time.

"Me? A thing for Regulus Black?" Maria gasps, placing a hand on her forehead, "I'd jump off this tower right now."

"I should take that as offensive, but it's nice to know you'd throw yourself off a tower, all for little old me." 

"Piss off."

"Never."

"You're such a nuisance, Regulus." Regulus' mouth opens for a second before clamping shut. Regulus. He must be dreaming. Maria Potter, the girl who has hated his guts and he's hated hers, since third year actually called her by his first name, instead of a cold 'Black'.