Man of the House (18)

Start from the beginning

"Did she say attacked?" Mr. Hart asked his daughter.

"What happened?" Charlotte panicked.

"Are you okay?" Jasper asked.

"Yeah, yeah. I wasn't hurt or anything, but, I was walking to my car and a man jumped out from a bush and he snatched my purse,"

There were concerned looks shared among the group.

"Did you call the cops?" Henry asked.

"Yes, I gave them a description of the guy, I filed a report," she moved further into the kitchen, stopping to look between Jasper and Maebel, "Why is Jasper so sweaty and why does Maebel have egg all over her?"

Jasper gestured toward the electrometer, "I shook an egg," 

"The egg exploded," Maebel sighed.

"Oh," Mrs. Hart shook them off.

"Well, I'm sorry you lost your purse," Charlotte sympathized.

"Me too," Mrs. Hart grabbed an orange, "I lost my phone, and my wallet, oh, and my Yotally Togurt punch card!"

There were groans of anger released from the kids.

"Yeah, I know, and I was just one punch away from a free medium yogurt," she whined.

Another string of groans. Maebel continued to clean herself off with a rag, groaning when getting a bit of yolk in her mouth.

"Hey guys," Maebel greeted Ray and Gooch as her and Henry walked into Junk-N-Stuff.

"Hello, you two," Gooch glanced back at them.

"Whoa, I didn't think you were working today," Ray held his hand up to Henry's chest stopping him.

"I'm not, but I got to go downstairs and check the crime computer, there's been a purse snatching," Henry explained.

Ray shrugged, "Oh, just file a police report,"

"Who got her purse snatched?" Gooch asked.

"Henry's mom," Maebel replied, starting to the back room.

"His mom?" Ray yanked her back, "Wait, what happened? Is she okay? Was she hurt? What happened? Is she okay?"

"Why are you so interested in his mom?" Gooch questioned, giving Ray a weird look.

"Have you seen his mom?" Ray balked.

Maebel gave him a disgusted look, "Ray-"

"We got to help her," Ray cut off his daughter.

"Ray, I'm sure Henry's father is taking good care of her," Gooch reasoned.

"Nah, my dad's out of town," Henry informed.

Ray yanked his sidekick close to him, "He's out of town?"

"Yeah, but I can handle things,"

"No you can't," Ray shoved him off and reached into his pocket.

"Why can't I?"

"You're but a boy," he popped a gumball into his mouth.

"Maybe, but I'm almost fourteen-years-old, and I've been your guy's sidekick long enough that I can- he's just leaving while I'm talking," Henry shrugged.

Maebel groaned and pulled out her gum tube as well.

"What are you doing?" Gooch asked her.

She transformed into her superhero persona, "Making sure Ray doesn't try anything with Henry's mom," she followed Ray out the door.