Five

You watch him scowl at the message displayed on the phone - Unknown Caller - those long fingers paused, mid-action. "Tom. Don't." You manage two words of warning before he moves again.

Why had you handed over your phone? Please let it be something about work... some long lost friend calling to see if I'm ok... anything but...

He holds the phone to his ear in silence for a beat - two - and then his face contorts into disgust. His words come out in an explosive tone that makes you flinch. "Where the fuck do you get off?!"

There's a slight pause in which you cancel the half-made phone call on the landline, replace the handset in the damned cradle where it is supposedto go, and take the few steps over to where Tom is standing. Your heart is hammering in your chest. Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck.

"You called this number. Who is this?" He takes a sidestep to turn halfway away from you.

Disengage! Think this through, Hiddleston. Oh God. You ass! Why did you answer the phone?! You duck under his extended elbow to stand directly in his eye-line. He doesn't immediately look at you but rather focuses his glare just over your head.

"Tom, give me the phone." You force out a vehement almost-whisper.

He keeps the phone pressed to his ear, though he heard what you said clear enough. His eyes flicker down to meet yours for a moment before snapping back up to look over the top of your head at the unknown spot on the kitchen wall. The look is clear enough - No way in hell. "No -you're going to tell me who you are. And then explain the reasoning behind calling and harassing someone."

Don't scold the stranger you idiot. Hang up. You try again, not bothering with trying to keep your voice down. "Tom, give me the phone!" He is using his height to his advantage along with holding his arm just-so to block your reach.

"No. It's not fucking funny or entertaining or..."

Well - at least his anger isn't directed at you for the moment. Oh Lord - but what if the person on the other end of the line is recording this? Illegal as it may be, some people just want that little bit of fame. Yea I'm on that phone call where you can hear Tom Hiddleston curse like a sailor. How very charming of him, right? Yea, willing to sell. So where'll we start the bidding?

Tom is refusing to hand over the phone so you try a different version of the phrase. "Tom! Hang up now." You finally manage to wrestle the phone from his death grip and end the call. You don't even want to know what the other end of the call sounded like. "What the hell are you thinking? Are you trying to make things worse?" You just about throw the phone across the room, settling for tossing it onto the nearby counter instead. Who fucking cares if it gets damaged at this point.

"He was-" Now his anger is back focused on you again.

Well that reprieve was short lived. You hold both hands out before you, the motion oddly reminiscent of when you were trying to stall his angry words a week ago, the act still completely ineffective. "Tom. Jesus. Stop. I don't care what he was saying. There's a reason I had my phone off!"

"Right. To keep me from being able to apologize."

"No, you narcissistic ass!"

He smirks just a bit, "Bet that felt good."

You narrow your eyes at him, offering a deadpan reply. "It did actually. Thanks."

Good doesn't even touch it. It feels fabulous to finally call him that. It has been cycling through your head all week. You point with your whole hand towards your phone, which is cheerfully emitting incoming text message noises.