Chapter 15 - Nasty Tricks

Start from the beginning

"No, I slipped." I force myself to sit back up, regardless of how lightheaded I feel. Everyone's eyes bore into me. "The thunder scared me and I lost my footing."

Edmund and Caspian look at me skeptically but I continue stringing along my lie. I'll explain what really happened later when no one else is around. The crew seems convinced of my clumsiness. A few scoff quietly and someone mutters something about how women shouldn't be out at sea. Those of them that are simply annoyed at me, leave but a handful of genuinely concerned crewmates stay to make sure I'm alright.

The man returns with a cup of water which I take small sips of, afraid that if I drink too fast I'll expel an unholy amount of water like I did on deck. I'm soaked to the bone. My wet clothes are plastered to my limbs and only make me feel colder than the actual sea felt.

"Ed, go get Lucy," Caspian says. Ed doesn't hesitate and leaves too.

"Everyone else out." He says. They slowly listen, confused why they're being ordered to leave. "Now!" He says louder, and with an authority that I've never heard him use. They're all gone in the blink of an eye this time.

"Caspian, it wasn't-" I lower my voice, afraid someone could be listening. "Someone pushed me."

His eyes widen. "What? Did you see who it was?" He asks quietly.

"I didn't." My voice shakes from a bout of shivers.

He sighs, a mix of relief and disappointment, but not with me, and rests his forehead against mine.

I flex my hands and immediately wince. Rope burns cover my palms and the lower portions of my fingers. Thankfully it's not bleeding, I'll just have to keep them wrapped for a few days, then I should be fine.

"Are you okay?" Caspian asks, holding my hands and inspecting them with squinted eyes.

"They'll be fine in a couple of days," I assure him.

"Are you sure?"

I nod.

Edmund returns with Lucy and a stack of dry clothes for the three of us. Caspian and Ed leave, giving me some privacy as Lucy helps me get out of my wet clothing. I feel even worse after taking them off, my body heat not being enough to warm me. My hair is still damp so Lucy pulls it up which helps a little. Edmund and Caspian return in fresh clothes of their own.

I'm still shivering violently to which Lucy wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Lucy? Do you mind finding a couple of dry blankets?" Caspian asks.

She nods, shooting me a worried glance and leaving. Edmund follows her.

"I'm sorry-"

"This is not your fault." He says firmly while moving towards me.

A few clean bandages are tightly gripped in his hands but they automatically relax when he retakes a hold of mine. He slowly and carefully wraps the clean cloth around my hands and fingers then softly kisses the center of my palms. Tears swell in my eyes but not from the pain. I almost died, I could feel the ocean stealing my strength faster than anything I've ever experienced. He wraps me in his arms again, his body heat making me shiver from the warmth.

Lucy and Edmund return. She drapes a fur blanket over my shoulders and comfortingly rubs my back.

"You should get some rest." She says quietly.

I nod slowly and head to the sleeping area, my head already feeling foggy. When we reach our hammock, Caspian lifts me up onto it before I can protest to do it myself.

"You two stay inside until the four of us can talk," Caspian says sternly.

"Why?" Edmund asks.

"It's a long story, but just trust me, Ed."

I don't hear any more talking and Caspian climbs up beside me so they must have left. I flip over to see him. He looks racked with guilt and it breaks my heart.

"It's not your fault either Caspian," I whisper.

He pulls me into him and covers us with another blanket.

"I know, but I almost lost you. It could've happened so easily. I should've been there."

I look up at him. His hair is damp and his expression shows how tired and drained he really is.

"But you didn't lose me and you won't. No matter how violent the storm, I'll always fight my way back to you. I promise"

His brown eyes swirl with emotion but I don't get to look at them for very long. He slips his arms around my waist tightly and buries his face in the crook of my neck.

"I love you." He whispers and I barely catch it.

I comb my bandaged fingers through his hair. "I love you too."

~~~

Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed this longer chapter :)
Don't forget to vote, comment suggestions, and follow for future updates and fanfics.
Love all of you guys <3