She shook her head, "You're the last person i blame for this." Her stomach made a loud grumbling noise.

"When did you last eat?"

Not wanting to answer his question, she shrugged. James got up from his position, presumably to go get her some food, but she tightened her grip on his hand, not letting him leave.

"Please, i've been alone for the last three days. I've had enough time on my own," he looked at her, his eyes filled with sympathy as he sat beside her on the sofa, gently pulling their bodies closer.

"Don't pity me," El muttered, seeing his facial expression.

"I don't," he said quickly, "The opposite, actually,"

There was a moment of silence, before it was broken by Eleanors stomach rumbling again.

"Julie?" James called, only waiting a few moments before a house elf arrived in the room. "Could we have some toast and two cups of tea please?"

"Of course, Master Potter," the house elf said with a bright smile, "Julie will get it right away,"

The pair smiled appreciatively at the elf before she disappeared again. The only sound El could hear was James' heart where her head was resting.

"The whole time i was there," El whispered, "All i could think was; 'that's the reason i'm not a Gryffindor'. I didn't do anything! I was too scared," she paused for a moment, "I just kept thinking that if it were you, or Sirius, or Remus, or Peter, or anyone else, you would've done something. I had to be rescued, like a 'damsel in distress'."

A single tear fell down her cheek, "Needing help to get out of a bad situation doesn't make you weak," he pulled her body even closer, being careful to watch for any sign of a wince.

She looked down at her hands awkwardly, not knowing how to respond. Julie arrived and placed a large pile of toast on the coffee table, handing the pair their cups of tea. They both muttered 'thank you's to the house elf before she left.

"It's Christmas tomorrow," El stated, her voice deflated at the mention of the holiday, "I forgot," she paused, "I'm sorry for coming here, i'll leave before tomorrow i promise,"

She went to stand up but winced at the sudden movement, "Don't be stupid. You're not going anywhere," he pulled her back to the sofa.

James could tell she felt on edge, every time there was a random sound upstairs she would flinch. She had both her hands wrapped round her mug of tea, it occasionally spilling when she moved. After not long, Euphemia and Fleamont came back into the room, closely followed by Sirius.

The Black boy rushed over to El, a sat next to her, "You scared the shit of me," he whispered. She flinched at his sudden actions, he tried to hold her hand but she jerked them away, feeling uncomfortable with the contact.

Euphemia handed the plate on the coffee table to her son, and her and Fleamont sat in its place.

"Thank you for letting me stay," her voice was uncharacteristically shy, "I know it's near Christmas and-,"

"Nonsense dear, i'm Mia, this is Monty," she gestured to her husband, who gave her a kind smile.

"You can stay as long as you like, the more the merrier," Monty said, putting an arm round his wife, he had the same scruffy hair and glasses as his son.

"Do you want to tell us what happened?" Euphemia asked, trying to be as kind and gentle as she could. She placed a comforting hand on El's knee which she removed when the girl flinched.

El shook her head, the last thing she wanted to do was explain. "That's fine," Monty affirmed, "The boys have mentioned you once or twice over the years, you're a Slytherin, correct?"