"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?" Colin questioned. 

Abby rolled her eyes.

"Fair point." She heard Anthony say from next to her. 

"Because she's simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Eloise commented back, sarcastically. 

"Amen." Abigail said and further backed up Eliose's point. "The fact is that no man would write under a woman's pseudonym. He'd have too much to lose and nothing to gain. No, you're looking for a woman." 

Eloise smiled, having finally been supported in an opinion at the table. 

"Well I think it rather obvious the writer is Lady Danbury." Francessca said from across the table.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down." 

"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Hyacinth posed. 

"No!" Everyone says in unison. 

"You have yet to read what Lady Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister." 

"You know, I didn't think you'd get involved in the debate." Abby heard a lower volume speak next to her. 

Turning her head towards Anthony she replied, "I agree with your sister. Taking all the facts into account, Whistledown has to be a woman." 

"You shouldn't encourage her." He said a bit louder this time so that he caught Eloise's attention too. "She has an easy enough time speaking her opinion already." He was pointedly teasing his sister now, who made a face at him.

Abby turned towards Eloise and said, "It's a privilege to be able to share one's opinion, I admire you for that. Just don't waste it." 

Eloise smiled and nodded, clearly with some approval. 

"You speak as if you can't." Eloise pried. 

"Well, haven't you heard? No man wants a woman that's forthcoming." Abby said with a mix of resentment and sarcasm dripping from her tone as she cut into her food. 

"Are you truly in need of a husband that much?" Anthony wondered, then realized too late that he said it out loud. "I truly apologize, that was--" 

"No." Abigail cut him off. "Believe me, I appreciate the bluntness of speech. And to answer your question, unfortunately, yes. If my mother were still alive, I wouldn't be but I have to do what's best for my family and more importantly, my brothers." 

"Now that, I completely understand." He paused for a moment then said, "It's hard. Having to step into a parent's shoes. Hardest thing I've done in my life." 

He reached for his wine glass. 

"It's almost as if you're never sure of yourself. Like you wish to do what is right so badly and yet, you don't always know what right is." Abigail empathized. 

"Exactly. I've never met anyone who's understood it before." Anthony marveled before his gaze traveled down the table and landed on the Duke and Daphne conversing. 

Following his gaze, Abigail rolled her eyes and couldn't help but comment, "If I may say so, you don't seem too thrilled with your other guest this evening." 

She smirked and took a bite, looking back up towards him as she had grabbed his attention yet again. 

"That obvious?" He questioned. 

She chuckled and nodded. "It's sort of entertaining. The protective big sibling act. I feel it too, believe me, it's just my siblings are still children. Which I suppose still brings its own set of baggage into the mix." She muttered the last part as she reached for her own wine. 

"Yes, well. The Duke is my mother's doing. She's attempting to play matchmaker but I won't allow that to happen with him." Anthony stated as his eyes wandered back towards his friend and sister. 

"Well from what I hear, you're not exactly making it easy for Daphne."

"Gossiping about me now are we?" He teased. 

"Well, Mr. Bridgerton, you're just too fascinating not to discuss." She arched a brow as she spoke, humoring him.

They had gained some attention now from their end of the table, due to their banter, but of course they did not notice. 

"Don't I have a duty to protect my sister from unwanted suitors. She deserves only the best, in my eyes." 

"But why is it your eyes that get to determine what is the best? You have to remember, this is what we were raised for. All we have been trained to do as women, and if you continue to block your sister at every turn you will condemn her to shame rather than protect her." 

"And yet I still have a job, not just as her brother, but as the head of this household to not only make sure she finds a match worthy of the name but to make sure she finds someone worthy of her." 

"I will concede your intentions are honorable My Lord, but you lack empathy. Unless you've experienced what it is to have your only value placed upon your ability to find a husband, then you have no room to talk." 

He turned quite serious at that last comment, as Daphne had said something similar to him in the park. 

"You're the second person to point something of that nature out to me today." 

"Well then, maybe God is attempting to send you a sign." She quipped. "Unless of course you do know what it is I mean and I hadn't realized. Tell me, My Lord, have you been a woman of late?" 

He laughed and this ticked the mood of the conversation back up. She smiled and was about to take another bite when she felt an elbow nudge her ribs. She turned to Eloise who was smiling with vindication at her. 

"You might just be my new favorite person in the whole world." 

"A high honor." Abigail chuckled and finally bit off her fork. 

They both laughed.

She continued to engage in conversation until a servant came bustling into the dining room with a note for her on a platter. She took it, and unfolded it to read. By this point everyone at the table had halted conversation to see what the message was about.

"Oh god." She muttered. "If you will excuse me, Lady Bridgerton, I must leave. My youngest brother has taken ill." 

"Oh darling, of course." Violet said as Abigail stood. 

As she did, the men at the table stood too, as was polite. 

"Let me know how he is when you can."

"Let me walk you to your carriage." Anthony said and set his napkin on the table. 

Every Bridgerton sibling exchanged glances.

"Thank you very much for the dinner. Goodnight everyone." Abby made a blanket thank you. 

They all chimed a goodnight back as the two swept out of the dining room.