You did as you were told, that dread filled anticipation to see what shape Hizashi would be in if he was even still here, growing every second. Shouta inched forward until he could slide a hand in between the gap in the large barn doors, that despite their size swayed ever so slightly in the wind. In one smooth motion Shouta creaked open the door, looked inside then disappeared into the dark interior, leaving you alone in the field under the moonlight. The longer it took Shouta to reappear the more the cold seemed to bother you and the more exposed you felt.

You waited for what felt like ages, you had to lean heavily against the barn to give your legs a modicum of a break, creeping slower than a snail towards the door, wishing you could dive in after Shouta to escape the wide open field before you. Fighting that urge, you compromised and placed your ear against the wall to see if you could hear anything of the going ons inside the barn. At first there was nothing but the sound of your own breath filling your lungs and the dull thumps of your heart but then you heard some low whisperings. You couldn't be sure with how quiet it was but you were sure you could hear Hizashi murmuring something but it was cut short with a moan, it was a surprise sort of moan that sounded more like a subdued yelp.

The barn door squeaked open wider and Shouta's pale face appeared. You were facing him, ear pressed against the wall, so you smiled like a kid who'd gotten caught searching for sweets. He grinned and waved you in then disappeared again. You followed suit, slipping in before the door fell closed. The barn was even darker than outside, the only place moonlight was able to touch was the upper loft that held two windows on either end. You tried to blink away some of the darkness, hoping your eyes would define their human nature and suddenly be able to see in the pitch darkness. There was no need as a dull gold glow flared up in the middle of the barn, the source a small shattered lantern on the ground surrounded by walls of hay bales.

In the dim glow you could see Hizashi who was propped up against one of the bales and Shouta who was waving out a flint stick and scurrying towards the blond. You slowly pulled the barn door shut behind you trying to go slow enough that there wasn't enough force on the hinged to make them creak.

"Why didn't you tell me?" You heard Shouta huff quietly, trying to keep his volume down as his frustration increased.

"Because it's not a cause for worry, Sho." Hizashi whispered back. He sounded tired and relieved at the same time, as if he'd just been woken up.

You turned back around a crept forwards this time not taking quite as much care in your steps as you did out in the field. As you strode into the lantern light you could see what Shouta was upset about, Hizashi's leg was propped up on an overturned bucket and a set of bandages were sloppily wrapped around his shin.

"I'm going to worry." Shouta grumbled, his hands settling on both of Hizashi's shoulders. There was a pause and Hizashi opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Shouta kissing him none too gently. Hizashi smiled into the kiss and buried his hands into Shouta's wild waves, closing his eyes. When the kiss finally broke the two men learnt into one another, foreheads pressed together, eyes closed, just breathing each other in.

"If I had said anything you wouldn't have waited and the farmer's been out there all day. He'd have seen you." Hizashi mumbled.

Shouta pulled away and opened his eyes, sending a somewhat frustrated glance at you. You shrugged and raised your eyebrows back, mouthing "told you."

"Let me see your leg." you smiled at Hizashi and knelt down next to his raised foot. "What happened?"

"Crossbow. It's just a graze but it's deep. Those Northern Dales Mercs are no joke, they hit me from over 50 yards away." Hizashi pulled his arm forward showing off a tear in his sleeve that was rimmed with dry blood. "This one's just a scratch."