Thirty-Five - Tobi

Start from the beginning

"Tobi!" Chinami-Ren exclaimed. "That's amazing! You got your quirk!"

"Yep!" He smiled widely and clenched his open hand into a fist, making the water suddenly evaporate back into the air. "I can draw water out of the air when it's sticky!"

"That's so cool! I can't wait till I get mine." Chinami-Ren shuffled closer to her big brother and stared at his fist intently.

"We still don't know if you ever will, Chichi..." Hanna said sadly. "You know, cause Dad..."

"All of you have quirks!" Chinami-Ren squeaked. "Who says I'm gonna be the only one who doesn't get one?!"

"I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up!" Hanna crossed her arms and huffed.

"You're just saying that cause you're scared mine will be cooler than yours!" Chinami-Ren poked her tongue out at her sister. "Did you show Mom and Dad yet?" She asked their brother.

"No..." Tobi shrunk back. "I know Mom will be happy but I'm scared Dad will get angry like he did with Hanna."

"And Kai and Erika." Hanna added with a little pout.

"She's alone on the porch. Let's go show her now! And then we can show Dad later." Chinami-Ren said with a double fist pump.

Tobi bummed to himself. "Okay!"

The three of them took off and bolted through the garden to get back to their mother. As they cleared the shrubbery and rounded the trees near the pond, Chinami-Ren remembered the warning her mother had asked her to pass along to her siblings. "Oh, Hanna! Tobi! Be careful around the-"

As she was about to say 'pond', Tobi lost his balance and slipped into the pond.

"Tobi!" Hanna cried out as she slid to a halt. "Mom! Dad!" She screamed in the direction of the porch where their parents stood. They immediately jumped from their spot and hurried towards the children.

Without a second thought, Chinami-Ren had leapt for the pond's edge and placed her hand into the water. As their parents got to the other side of the pond, all of the water had rocketed out behind Chinami-Ren and Tobi sat at bottom of the pond, contemplating what the hell had just happened.

Chinami scooped her son up, uttering words of comfort as she pulled him away from the slippery and muddy stones and onto the grass. As soon as her brother and mother had cleared the space, Chinami-Ren swooped her hand over the pond space and all of the water returned to its rightful place, the water's surface glassy as if it had been untouched.

"Tobi!" Chinami-Ren cried out as she snapped out of her calmed state. "Are you okay?!"

"Chichi! How did you do that?!" He asked from behind their mother's arms.

"You... Have... A quirk?" Their father asked her slowly.

"I-I guess so..." Chinami-Ren stared at her hands. "I told ya mine would be cooler than yours!" She poked her tongue out at Hanna again.

"Hey! We were meant to be showing Tobi's cool new quirk!" Hanna yelled back at her.

"You BOTH have a quirk?!" Their father looked between the two of them.