"I used to work for him."

Start from the beginning

"I'm not sure," I say as we walk towards the counter, "but it's worth a try."

Ten minutes after speaking to the manager, Derwin appears from what looks like the kitchen. He's wearing a blue shirt covered by a black apron. I've only ever seen him in caps and the hair net looks very foreign on him.

"Maya? Mason?" He looks between the two of us with confusion.

"Derwin, these two wanna talk to you." The manager says with a cold tone, his arms folded.

"I'm not in any trouble." Derwin rolls his eyes.

"Sure." The manager replies before clicking his tongue and focusing on the books in front of him.

"We're sorry for any trouble we're causing." Maya is quick to apologise as soon as Derwin stands next to us.

"It's okay," Derwin smiles, "I don't mind if it's for you."

I glare at him and he chuckles, putting his hands up.

"What can I do for you?" He pulls out a chair from one of the tables and we sit down opposite him.

"We have a favour to ask you." Maya speaks.

"A favour?" Derwin raises a brow. "Sure."

"We just need some information from you."

"Information?" He smiles. "I don't think there's anything I can help you with. I mean, what's it about? School?"

"It's a different kind of information." This time I speak and Derwin's expression changes.

"What?" He slightly turns his head, as if to hear more clearly.

"I'm sorry we're involving you in this, it's just that our lives might be in danger and we need to find out the truth and know if we're allowing potential danger into our lives or if we can rest assured that nothing will happen to us." Maya says in one breath and once more, Derwin's expression shifts.

"It's okay, it's okay. What can I do?" He's quick to reply.

"Thank you." Maya releases a sigh of relief. "We need information on Mark Coleman..."

Derwin's eyes widen and he leans away from us, all the way back on his chair. Maya and I glance at each other in confusion.

"Mark Coleman," she continues, "we need information on Mark Coleman and his daughter Mary."

"I...Mark?" Derwin asks in disbelief.

"We don't want it from you," I explain, "we just need you to head us in the right direction. Tell us who or where we can ask."

Derwin remains silent for a minute or so and Maya and I exchange confused looks.

I guess he knows him.

"What do you guys even want with The Man? What do you have to do with him?" He directs the latter question to Maya.

"I used to work for him." I reply.

"And I... Somehow got entangled in the situation." Maya frowns.

"I'm not going to ask any more questions. He's childhood friends with my old boss. I have a few names that might give you what you want."

"Really?" Maya smiles. It's from relief, I conclude.

"Yeah. You said you might be in danger, why?"

"It's a long story..." Maya smile turns sheepish.

"I'm the one that put him behind bars." I state and panic immediately occupies Maya's eyes.

"You're kidding me. How are you alive to tell the story?" Derwin's eyes widen from the shock.