A bell jingled as I pushed open the door of the store. Behind the counter was a lady with an outdated and frankly over the top beehive up-do. She was probably in her late fifties, although it was hard to tell with all the hair dye and tan, cakey makeup that made her complexion look like a Goldfish cracker.

"Hello," she called. "Welcome to Denton Valley."

"It shows?" I teased, grabbing a packet of M&Ms and tossing it on the counter. "This and thirty five on pump three."

The lady took the cash I offered.

"Small town. New faces and cars tend to stand out when it's not tourist season. You're a few weeks early."

Noted.

"Do you know Ramsey Donnellen, then?" I asked as she passed me some change.

"He comes through from time to time. Has to get his donut fix somewhere."

She gestured to the glass display case. While gas station confectionaries would definitely not satisfy my donut cravings, to each their own.

"Seen him recently?"

"Came into town a few days ago and picked up some groceries. Said he was heading out to his cabin."

"Well, then. At least this trip isn't in vain. Thanks."

I left the gas station and followed the directions Alban had given me through Denton Valley. There was a small main street and a few other stores clumped around and within fifteen seconds, Denton Valley was in the rearview mirror. Pretty soon, the pavement disappeared completely and I found myself on a dusty gravel road that ringed a dark lake. I branched off down Cherry Street and slowed so I could read the addresses posted on the street. A mile and a half down the road, I spotted Ramsey's cabin.

It was a quaint little place, nestled with in the trees. Rough, dark-stained wooden siding and pea-green trim around the windows, doors, and eves. I could understand why Ramsey would enjoy getting away from the city out here. It was peaceful.

Ramsey's car was parked beside the cabin. I squeaked to a halt behind the junker. As I climbed out, I glanced down at my phone. No reception.

The engine was cool, I noted, pressing the back of my hand to the hood of Ramsey's car on my way toward the door. He'd clearly been here a while.

"Donnellen!" I called, pounding on the door. I propped the screen open with my foot and waited impatiently. "Ramsey, open up!"

The cabin stood still and silent. My mind jumped to a dark place but I backpedaled quickly. Ramsey liked to jog. Maybe he was out running. He liked to fish. Maybe he was out fishing on the lake or a river. Maybe he was in the shower and couldn't hear me.

I circled the cabin. The curtains were drawn shut and I couldn't see inside. There was a small back deck, but the single wooden chair, painted to match the trim, was empty.