Chapter Forty Two - Age of Innocence Part One

The senior school play, everyone had to take part in it, unless your name is Chuck and Rose Bass then being diagnosed with acute stage fright can stop you. That didn't stop me from being backstage though. 

"When I saw the Age of Innocence with Daddy,  I always pictures myself as Winona. But playing the stronger more emotionally complex female lead just feels so right. Dorota" Blair clapped her hands "Hair pin." I shook my head at my best friend

"Besides, Serena seems much more suited to play May who's so...witty. though if you had actually bother to take part dearest Rosie, it would be your obviously."

"Thanks?" Serena replied

"At last my life is perfect. My only problem: how to relate to my character. Countess Olenska is a ruined woman with no prospects and let's face it, I have the world on a string."

"Just pretend your Ms Carr then" I comment shrugging my shoulders and finding with a hair pin. "Royally screwed and a place that would rather see you burn at the stake. Why couldn't we do Macbeth? I would be a perfect Lady Macbeth"

"I rather think you would." Blair smiles which I return "Now there is the odious task of playing opposite Dan Humphrey. Dorota enough." she slaps the hand away

"How are you two doing BTW?" she wonders

"He is more attentive. I don't know what you guys said or did. But..." I trail off "Thank you. Anyway, is it me or do you Serena have a crush on that awful director."

"Julian is kind of amazing." Serena smiled dreamily as she caught sight of him going out front.

"No he's not, Why do you think I called the doctor, it will save me a trip to jail for assault. Actually I am going to sit out front and plan way of he can have an accident. Have fun." I head off and I find Dan sitting out front

"Hey, Babe." I kiss his cheek

"Hey, how is not being in the school play?" he wonders as I sit next to him and cross my legs.

"Fascinating. I'm just sitting here being a spectator and ignoring what a pompous ass the director is." he laughed. I rested my head on his shoulder as he read his lines.

"Julian, I added the fur Collar to Olenska's dress." Jenny informed the ass coming down towards the stage.

"Add fur to the cuffs. Humphrey? This is an invited dress. Backstage now." I pouted and rolled my eyes.

"I can't believe I volunteered to do costumes" Jenny breathed "Oh for the days of Eleanor's atelier. Wait, did I really just say that?" we laughed. Dan went to go backstage and Jenny went to add fur to the cuffs. Dan headed up the steps and he turned round his smile dropped and I turned to see what he was looking at. Ms Carr entered the auditorium.

"Bitch got balls." I mumbled. she came right over and sat next to me and I raised an eyebrow.

"I was hoping we could talk." she stated

"You're either stupid or  bold I can't tell?" I folded my arms "What could you possibly want or need to say to me?"

"Nothing happened, that picture was taken entirely out of context and I was set up. All to protect you." she continued

"So?" I shrugged leaning back in my chair

"This is my life, my career Rosalie. I have worked hard to get this job and it hangs in the balance because of you." I sigh rolling my eyes.

"I didn't do anything. Personally I would have just suckered punched you, called you a slut and be done with it. No muss, no fuss." I shrugged it off.

"Seriously, nothing happened." she protested