Ehsaas (Realisation)

Start from the beginning

Talha's gaze on me was intense and it was making me feel like I was the most special person on the planet. "You're okay, right?" 

I nodded, my lashes practically brushing my warm cheeks as I lowered my gaze.

"Come on." He suddenly took his hand in mine. "I want you to eat something, and trust me, it's going to be an out-of-the-world experience." 

"What is it?" I asked curiously, as we walked through the narrow and crowded streets of the bazaar. 

We arrived at a small café that sold various items, including samosas, samosa chaat, gol gappay, and various other savouries. The aroma rising from the freshly baked goods made my stomach growl greedily. "Is it safe to eat from here?" I whispered to my husband.

"I wouldn't bring you here if it wasn't." He looked down at me, a small smile on his face.

He ordered some dahi baday (a yoghurt mix with dumplings), and aloo samosas (samosas stuffed with potato), along with two bottles of cold, soft drinks, and we took a seat at a small table near the wall, which was relatively private compared to the others. Fortunately, there were other families around, so I didn't feel so uncomfortable.

Talha had actually brought me out here to do some Eid shopping. He wanted to buy me a dress, as it was out first Eid together. I had already got the dress, plus the jewellery and matching shoes, plus an extra set of bangles and earrings. He seemed to be determined to spoil me. I'd bought a suit for Tara as well, because I knew that even before pregnancy, she hated the idea of dragging herself through the bazaars of Lahore, especially when it was so hot.

"Try the dahi baday first." He had an excited smile on his face, which made me smile in turn.

I nodded and lifted up the spoon to my mouth. The moment the first drop of spicy yoghurt landed on my tongue, my taste buds seemed to go crazy, like overexcited chickens. My stomach fell in love, if that makes sense. It seemed to be asking the question, 'Where have these dah baday been my entire life?'

It was absolutely and purely delicious. If you loved to eat, you would think that you're in heaven. No wonder Lahore is considered the food capital of the country. 

"No words are sufficient to describe this deliciousness, Talha." I closed my eyes for a few moments, savouring the flavours.

"I'm glad you like it. This is one of my favourite places in Lahore, and each time I come to Pakistan, I have to come here." He smiled.

"You have good taste." 

"Yeah, I do." He almost whispered, and as I briefly glanced at him while taking a bite of the samosa, I saw him look at me in a way that I'd never been looked at before.

It did things to my heart that I'd never felt before, not even with Abdul Rehman.

What am I feeling for Talha?

****

Tara

I sat in the air-conditioned living room, having a cold glass of orange juice with homemade grilled cheese sandwiches. Arzoo Aunty had specially checked the labels to make sure that the cheese was safe for me during pregnancy.

"Look at you, acting like a princess." Zain walked into the room, a towel draped over his shoulder. He was about to head to the swimming pool in the back garden. 

"Why shouldn't I, when my husband treats me like one?" I grinned cheekily at him.

"Come on, let's go swimming." He stood right in front of me, and broke off a bit of the sandwich and popped it into his mouth.