The Chariot - Chapter 9

Chapter Nine- The Night

The next day it was Saturday and the day of the match - Slytherin vs Ravenclaw. Harry hadn't been able to see Draco that morning and he waited anxiously for Draco to come to breakfast. He shovelled his toast down his throat and Hermione looked at him.

'You'll get indigestion like that.'

Ron laughed, 'leave him alone Hermione, he's a growing boy.'

Dean and Seamus were making bets on who would win the match.

'It better be Ravenclaw,' Seamus said giving Dean a bag of tricks that he had got from Fred and George's shop.

' I hope Cho leaves Malfoy for dust,' Neville said and all eyes turned to him. He very rarely, if ever in fact, said a comment like that.

He smiled weakly and Ron grinned, 'atta boy!'

Harry bit his tongue and chewed even more furiously on his toast. He was becoming increasingly aggravated every time someone made a comment against Draco. He was starting to feel fiercely protective of his Draco and was finding it harder and harder to stay calm in front of his friends. He felt as if the precious knowledge of him and Draco being together was something he should protect and cherish. Draco made him so happy and he hadn't felt happy for so long. They didn't see the wonderful side to Draco.

He felt like shouting at the top of his lungs and saying,' you don't know him. He is amazing and brilliant and gentle and funny…...'

His thoughts were cut short when he automatically looked up as Draco walked in. He was so beautiful, his silver eyes glittering, his white, blond hair moving about his pale face like a halo. Draco held himself upright with an elegance of someone of nobility. That proud haughty look that used to get on Harry's nerves before, now made Harry's heart jump at regular intervals. Draco briefly turned towards the Gryffindor table and smirked. He looked so sexy and Harry bit hard on his lip to stop himself from grinning like a hyena.

' I hope they lose so badly!' Ron said in a vengeful tone.

Harry was rudely jolted out of his thoughts at Ron's remark. He stifled a sigh and finished up his breakfast. It didn't look like he was going to get a moment alone with Draco before the match. Five minutes later, sounds of beating wings fluttered overhead. Harry looked up and saw Hedwig fly in with the other owls with the mornings post. She flew down and perched on his shoulder, nipping at his ear.

He watched as Ron untied a letter from Pig and ripped it open. He perused it quickly and said it was from home – just his mum saying hi. Harry nodded and stroked Hedwig.

Except for that brief batch of bizarre Valentines Day messages he had received, Harry hadn't got any other mail since the sixth year had started. Nor was he expecting any. The only person he had corresponded with was Sirius. At the start of the second term, Harry had asked Hermione to use Hedwig instead of using the school owls to send mail home. Hedwig had been very restless the first term with having no letters to deliver, and had seemed very annoyed with Harry. He felt bad for her, as she had probably watched numerous owls go off on trips everyday and the only excursions she ever got to make now were of hunting. Hermione had promised that she would and Harry felt glad that at least Hedwig was getting something to do. She often came in though; with the other owls to greet him and he fondly stroked her as she hooted happily eating on a bit of toast.

Harry looked at his watch and settled back in his seat whilst the others finished.

The match started in an hour and Harry tried to get there early for front seats.

' What's the rush?' Ron said as Harry sat down.

'Huh?' Harry said. 'Oh you know, just…..'

'Yeah,' Ron said,' I guess it would be good if we get premier seats to gloat when Slytherin lose.'