Adoption

Cami POV

I completed my paperwork to adopt my first ever dog. He was #27 and the shelter had given him the name Kujo. I had to sign a liability form since he was deemed "aggressive," though he didn't seem scary to me, just scared. The only thing that did take my breath away was his size. He had to weigh at least 150 pounds, he was the size of a wild animal and I wasn't sure how we were going to make it work in my apartment. I headed to Pet Smart to get some necessary things, I really wanted to be a responsible pet owner and I knew I would need to make a vet appointment soon as well. First things first though, was getting him home, so I headed back to the shelter and got his collar and leash on him. The collar I got was black and the leash matched and had little yellow moons on it. I didn't get him a nametag yet so I was hoping to get him home without incident. 

Klaus POV

The lady came back and kneeled beside me. She put the leash on me and a collar. "Alright Camille O'Connell you are all set, Kujo is now your problem. If you don't mind, there is a lady here that wants to take her picture with him. We would like to use it to post in the lobby. Kujo attracted quite the visitors because of his size and it did help with adoptions." Tony said to the lady. " She huffed and then told him, "My name is Cami, and I think it's hypocritical that you want to use him to help yourself when we both know you were planning on killing him, but since it does help the other dogs get out of this hell hole, then yes that's fine." She petted me and told me to please behave because if I bit anyone she would be sued. I could tell she was on edge and it instantly made me want to protect her just to calm her down. 

After I took the picture she pulled me along talking to me, "Okay, I'm Cami your new owner and now we need to think of a name for you, but I guess we can do that once we get you home

After I took the picture she pulled me along talking to me, "Okay, I'm Cami your new owner and now we need to think of a name for you, but I guess we can do that once we get you home." She spoke so kindly and calmly even though all I could do is think about her blood, I was so hungry from going so long without a proper meal. I felt a little ping of guilt knowing I was about to bolt on her as soon as we got away from the animal shelter, but I had to replenish myself with blood and I wasn't going to eat her, she just saved my life. I also knew I had to figure out how I could get out of this spell. How was I going to get out of this spell? The only person I knew in the quarter was Marcel so maybe I would need to use Cami, after all, maybe I shouldn't bolt. I was conflicted wondering if maybe I could figure out a way to communicate with her, she at least seemed like she didn't know who or what I was, maybe I could use that to my advantage. Once we were outside and fully away from everyone my instincts kicked in with all the fresh smells in the air and I yanked the leash right out of her hands and thoughts of staying left me. 

"No wait, she screamed." Her scream was horrible to my ears, she truly felt panicked. I could feel and hear her chasing me through the streets. I finally found a park and ran in there on the trail of some wildlife which I knew would do, for now, it wasn't like I could compel a human for blood and I still had my fragile dog body to worry about, what if the human was carrying a gun...I wasn't sure I could survive a bullet in this form so I couldn't risk it...animals it would be for now. I satisfied my hunger by draining a few rabbits and to my horror, Cami ended up finding me. 

She looked so disgusted and beside herself at the sight of me with blood dripping off my mouth, 6 dead bunnies drained only of blood, and not any of the meat eaten from their dead bodies lay in front of me. "Oh my gosh!" She gasped and put her hand over her mouth and we just stared at each other. She sat down on the ground and I walked to her putting my head on her lap and she sighed and petted me. It felt good to have her scratch behind my ears, but then once I realized what I was saying, I was enjoying getting scratched behind my ears I pulled away from her.

She got up and grabbed my leash and tied me around a tree then disappeared. She didn't tie the leash tight enough so I could have pulled away, but she wasn't leaving me there she had gone to get something. She came back with some kind of tool from her car, it looked like the thing you use to scrape ice off your windshields, then she used that to dig up some graves and bury the dead animals. It took her a long time since the tool was so small and her fingers were practically blistered by the time she was done, but she didn't stop. Afterward, she wordlessly grabbed the leash and loaded me in her car, and then we arrived at an apartment complex.

She has to be kidding me, she lives here? This place is so small and bare, nothing is even set up in the rooms, I thought as we got out and went inside. I immediately went around and started investigating the place and my K-9 instincts were telling me to lift my leg and mark everywhere that this was mine now, that she was mine. If I could kill this dog side of me at those thoughts I would have, but instead, I just tried to find somewhere comfortable to lay down. I felt satiated after drinking the blood and I was now tired. I found I got tired easily in this form, I jumped on the mattress since it wasn't even on a bed frame, it was easy for me to get on and I scooted up to the pillow and drifted off to sleep. I could hear the shower in the distance and figured she was wanting to wash off all the dirt and blood from the earlier incident.

Later, I hear the clanking of dishes and the smell of some food so assumed she was eating her dinner, and then a couple of hours later I saw her again. "Okay Boy, we need to go over some house rules." she looked at me and I looked at her. Klaus Mikaelson makes the rules not abide because he makes them. 

She starts listing her rules..."You are going to eat twice a day. Once before I go to classes and then again at night when I eat my dinner. We eat in the kitchen and you don't go to the bathroom in the house. No more pulling stunts like you did today, okay? No more running off and no doing anything destructive." She sighed and I just kept watching her expressive eyes.

"You scared me. I am responsible for you now, so you can't get me into trouble, okay? I had a lot of things happen to me lately and I just can't handle more stress okay. We will work on training soon and I will get you a vet appointment and tomorrow you can have your first bath, it's been a long day so you can just rest tonight. I am sure that shelter was scary for you. What shall we name you, huh?" She wasn't sure and I didn't know how to communicate my name to her but hearing her say she went through a lot lately made me think her rules weren't too bad to follow, I guess.  

She sat down beside me and scratched behind my ears and this time I didn't pull away, I let her lull me to sleep. I heard her add one more rule before she started falling asleep herself too. "You don't sleep here, just for tonight okay, I will try to find a bed big enough for you, tomorrow..." We were both out after that and through the night I found myself curling up closer and closer to her as her arm was wrapped around me rubbing absentmindedly. Eventually, my head was on her stomach and she had a protective arm around me all night.