Chapter 19: The Hunt

Start from the beginning

Techno... I'm seeing Techno's past... That explains why I cant interact with them...

I followed quietly as they traveled away from Veri, I wondered where Victor was taking them. My thoughts ceased as Mark spoke. "Don't worry, sire... It's less painful than it looks...", he whispered. My eyes noticed how Techno tried not to bother the new wounds on the man's back. That's where a saw peculiar symbols around Mark's neck, those were old death symbols used for dark magic. I examined the guards and noticed that they also had them, which meant that even the citizens of Veri had them while Victor reigned over them. My attention went back to Techno and Mark, the Blood God mustered a smile and thanked Mark. The man nodded and kept a firm hold on the young boy. The same guard that had tied Techno came over and told them that they would be resting soon. Mark thanked the man before reassuring Techno that everything would be okay. The guard took Techno and tied him back up while another guard tied Mark back up by his wrists.

As the carriage stopped, Mark smudged mud and dirt on Techno before the King came around. "Looks like you've learned your lesson...", mumbled Victor as he looked down at the duo. He turned to face one of the guards. "Give these two some bread and water then tie them back up.", he ordered. The guards saluted the man and did as they were told, the men that served as guards didn't just give them water and bread, they managed to sneak some ham and cheese for the two. "Thank you...", whispered Mark as he cleaned his hands with his portion of water. He prepared something and began to feed Techno, he looked weak and feeble, he was nothing like my husband.

He had a horrible childhood... I knew he did but not to this extent...

"Where are we going, Mark?", whispered Techno. The man drank some water before he explained that they were headed to the Forest of Alieus. "There's a witch that lives there... The King wishes to bring them back to serve him...", frowned Mark. Techno also frowned and began to question why the Tyrant needed a witch when Veri was already powerful enough to win wars against the other kingdoms. Their conversation went mute in my mind as the previous sentence echoed in my mind.

A witch? Did the Tyrant want Kristen?? Or maybe Philza??

The night came and Techno snuggled against Mark as he received treatment from one of the guards. I sat there and watched as the small God fell asleep, my attention went to the guard and Mark as they looked at Techno. "We have failed you... I'm sorry, Your Maj-", the guard stopped talking as Mark glared at him. "I told you... You could lose your head if you call me that... Only refer to me as Mark. Do not say that again... You all have no choice than to listen to that maniac's demands...", whispered the man. I questioned why the guard was referring to Mark as royalty, I began to think he was perhaps a descendent of one of the four kingdoms that Victor was using as leverage during the war that was currently unfolding during this time.

The next morning I could see the lushness of the trees of the magical forest, Techno gasped and whispered at Mark. He began to tell him that if they ever escaped, they could build a cabin in that forest and live off nature. Mark smiled, it wasn't a vague smile that he always wore. That smile that I saw was a genuine smile that had blossomed due to the innocent and kind words of my husband as a child. Before Mark could answer Techno, the carriage stopped and the King got out, his lackeys all laughed as they joined him. "Sire, if that child really is a witch then we have no reason to fear her!", laughed one of the men. The men all nodded and one of them rubbed his hands. "You could even keep her for your personal use.", smirked the man.

The Witch is a child... I was the Witch they were after...

I saw how Mark, who was next to Techno, tense up before his eyes had a mixture of anger and disgust. The guards were also disgusted by the King's glee of getting his hands on a small Witch. "It's for the best, I'll bend her at my will.", laughed Victor. He turned to look at Techno and a wicked smirk was plastered on his face. "Those peasants won't let anyone in and we can't attack them, the rage of the Gods will descend upon us. I'm sure they'll let an injured brat in...", he sneered. He walked over and grabbed Tecnho by the hair, Mark lunged at the King and shouted as the ropes restrained him. The King smirked at Mark and untied Techno, he dragged him away towards the entrance of the forest. I felt my heart stop as Victor reached for his sword, his lackey all began to laugh as Victor unsheathed it. Much to everyone's surprise, Mark attacked Victor and tried to take Techno away from him. "GUARDS! DETAIN THIS MAN!", roared Victor as his lackeys managed to pry Mark off him.