*Chapter 28 - Bra Straps*

Depuis le début

"Thanks Banner," you reply bashfully. Bruce notices the way you avert your gaze, and offers you a timid smile.

"Hey, I mean it," he says. "You're a quick learner. In the lab, and on the training floor from what I hear."

You fumble with his praise, mouth opening but no words coming out. Bruce just shrugs graciously, and returns his focus to cleaning up the remaining traces of dirt on his lab table. "Go on," he says. "You're probably hungry for something other than wax leaves."

"Oh thank God," you laugh as almost on cue your stomach growls. "See you later, Banner."

You start to head toward the elevator but your momentum falters. You cast a glance over your shoulder to spot the meek, dark-haired scientist already re-absorbed by his work. A sense of gratitude comes over you. This is twice now Bruce has had to deal with your post-Loki antics. And this is twice now that he hasn't pushed. Hasn't pried. Hasn't said a word. 

Tony might give his intellect a hard time. But the man isn't stupid. 

"Hey, Banner," you chirp. He glances up, and you offer him a grateful smile. "Thanks for this. For teaching me. I...I really appreciate it."

An expression of bashful pride dusts his cheeks the faintest hue of pink as he fumbles with the pencil between his fingers - almost dropping it.

"Yeah, sure. Hey, why not?" he grins. 

With a laugh you nod goodbye and head for the elevator once more, when Tony's voice catches you from somewhere in the far back of the lab.

"Hey, Squirt, before you go come over here."

You walk over to Tony, who stands in front of a large wall with tall glass cases. Inside each case is one of his Iron Man suits. From Mark I to the remains of Mark VII. Tony had been working on Mark VIII after the attack on the city, but seemed to be having issues with the propulsion, so it had been taking longer than anticipated. Perhaps that's why he's so tired today?

"What's up, Tony? Are you okay? You seem tired."

"Oh I'm swell - I got to spend my evening preparing a room for our honored guest," Tony sneers. "Who, by the way, is free to leave his cell. I was going to go let him out myself, but I had an idea I want to try out on Mark VIII here. Can you go? Just tell JARVIS to activate Protocol Mendax."

"Mendax?" you laugh. But Tony has stopped paying attention to you and is completely absorbed in tinkering with one of the inner mechanics of the Mark VIII's arm pieces.

Turning to go, Tony catches you one final time. "Oh, one more thing. There was only one spare room in the main corridors. When you let the rat out of his cage, take him down to the empty room next to Steve."

"Room next to Steve, understood."

Tony nods and waves you away as he returns his attention to Mark VIII. Amused, you watch him work for just a moment longer before retreating to the elevator, whose doors open just as you reach out to press the call button.

"Hey, Y/n!" Natasha grins as you nearly run right into her.

"Nat?" you question, surprised to see her coming down to the lab so late in the afternoon. "What are you doing down here?"

Natasha's gaze flits only briefly somewhere over your shoulder across the lab. You think you spot a tiny twinge of pink in her cheeks, but her composure remains unchanged as she tosses you a casual shrug

"Oh, I was coming to ask Tony a question, but you know what, it can wait! Where have you been lately? I was hoping to have a girl's night last night, but couldn't find you anywhere."

You are the one who wishes to keep our dalliance a secret, pet.

Loki's words echo through your head. As much as you hate to admit it, he's right. You're just not ready to, well, have to talk about it. And if anyone - especially Tony - had known, chances are nobody would have agreed to let him off of the Secure Floor.