Unsee

UNSEE

"Is he out of the ICU? Great,"

"Ask about the visiting hours." Ellie reminds her.

"Uh, what time are your visiting hours?" Betty questions, and writes down the answer on the small paper next to her on the desk. "Thank you." And she hangs up.

"At least we know he's gonna make it."

Betty sighs. "Yeah,"

"Hi." A strange voice calls their attention, and they turn to face the girl standing by the door. She steps forward hesitantly. "I'm Evelyn. And you must be Ellie and Betty Cooper?"

"Do we know you though?" Ellie frowns.

"Not exactly. We almost met, through your Mom and sister." Evelyn explains and steps inside the room now. "They're studying with my Dad."

"Edgar Evernever." Betty breathes.

"Yeah, that's right." She confirms, and tells them the news. "Anyway, I go to school here now. I wanted to say hi. And let you know" She now looks straight to Betty. "that I won't tell anyone about what happened the other night."

Ellie titles her head to the side, and steps closer because she's definitely not liking her tone at the moment. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, her seizure, of course."

"Wait, sorry, you..." Betty's not really sure of what to think so she hesitates. "You were there?"

"Yeah, your Mom invited us over for a cookout, and to burn a few of her things." Evelyn replies, and leans over the desk now with her elbows. "So, how are you feeling?"

"My sister is fine, Evelyn." Ellie slams one hand down on the desk at the sight of her sister's discomfort, and the girl brings her eyes up to meet hers. "So, keep your false concern to yourself. Oh, and tell your Dad... That we're fine without his... Help."

Betty stands up from the seat behind the desk, and once she gets to her sisters side, they turn their backs on Evelyn together, and walk out of the room.

"She's crazy,"

"They're all crazy." Ellie scoffs, as they keep walking towards their lockers now. "We gotta try to keep Mom and Polly away from them."

"It's impossible." Betty exclaims in frustation. "They're blinded by Edgar."

"Well, at least we gotta make sure we don't let ourselves be blinded as well."

"Yeah." She agrees, and as they come to a stop by her sister's locker, she finally gathers the courage to speak up. "I talked with Jughead about us. The other day when you –."

"I figured." Ellie turns to open her locker, hoping that will keep her mind too busy to react to whatever she's about to hear. She swallows. "That's good for you,"

"Well, we're kinda back together now." Betty leans against the lockers, and smiles. Maybe this way things get back to normal.

Eleanor feels her heart crack inside her chest, but there's only really one person to blame. And that's herself, for not taking the chance when she had one. She was so scared, and worried, that she might hurt Betty and maybe Archie, that she ends up being the one hurt.

She swallows the limp on her throat, and glances over to her sister with a fake smile. "I'm happy for you two."

"And I was hoping we two could fix whatever is wrong with us too."