"There are rumors you skipped the runway ball to be with her"

"Well like I said, we don't get much time together"

"Why don't you take her out into the public eye with you?"

"Its dangerous. It's also all up to her. Its her choice of she wants to be public. Hero relationships can be hard especially if they are with civilians cause they can be targeted" I also am worried about vultures like you dragging up her past too now.

The woman did not seem satisfied with this answer and kept pressing for details. It's stuff like this that pisses me off.

"Do you two have pet names you call eachother?"

"I mean, yeah. I call her a few pet names but she doesn't really call me any" God I just want to hear her say my name like in that dream this morning. Then I could die a happy man.

"What do you call her?"

"Various pet names"

"What pet names?"

"Just whatever I feel like"

She finally realized she isn't getting her answer she wanted, "So should we be expecting a wedding any time soon?"

"Sorry but I'm not on this program for these types of questions" a hand off camera caught my attention and I could see Pat with a scowl. I slap on my fake ass smile again, "I wouldn't wanna embarrass my little bird. She may kick me out of the nest tonight. The relationship is still new and although I may seem to be going fast in my hero life I like to take it slow in my romantic life"

This was all infuriating. I wanted to show her off. I wanted to gush on about her but I also wanted her safe. I spent all last night dealing with nightmares of the media finding her past, forcing her to relive it. All cause I'm selfish.

Readers POV

My back ached from sitting too long. I have been typing for hours. Everything tensed hearing a odd sound. Was it a coo? I turned to see Hawks resting his cheek on his fist sitting on the other side of my desk. Once our eyes met he cleared his throat.

"Did you... just coo at me?" I stare at him confused

"Um...I guess i did. I don't know what came over me kid..." he seemed oddly embarrassed

"Its... fine. Just surprising. What's up with you?" I pull away from my computer stretching my cramping fingers

"Nothing much. Just wanting a quick get away. Are you willing to take a break?"

"Sure. I can have a quick break" I stand ready to walk over to the break room but Hawks opened the door to his office. 

"Its more private. Anyway I don't want to make the break room uncomfortable. You know having your boss chilling in there" he chuckled

I shrugged and entered his office going back to the couch to sit comfortably. The best part about his office is all the furniture is made to accommodate wings leaving gaps and rests.

"Want a massage?"

I could feel a hand gently caress up my leg making me jump lightly. I looked down to Keigo who was on his knees looking up at me, "huh? No don't worry about it"

"You sure? I could give you a back massage if you wanted instead, or rub the tension out of your shoulders"

I couldn't help but lean forward to take his hand away, "Hawks, I'm fine"

"You're absolutely sure? I could get us some tea? Unless you want coffee?" His wings made small flapping motions

"Hawks, I said I'm fine"

He held my gaze before sighing and sitting on the couch with me.

Hawks POV

I felt torn. I feel so far from her but so close. If I'm an attentive boyfriend will she stay? Will she love me?

Her hand landed on my knee stopping its bouncing, "I think a better question is if you're ok?"

God her eyes. It's so hard to look away. They were gorgeous. My mouth ran dry as I tried to find the words to speak but I couldn't find any.

I sighed and instead buried my face in the crook of her neck to take comfort in her scent. I relaxed but mentally curse at the of position of my neck.

"Can you sit on my lap?" I pull back to speak.

Her face turned a bright crimson making me realize how weird my request was. I felt the heat crawl up my face thinking about what I said.

"I just want to cuddle and hold you close. That's all" I backpeddle to try to get her to understand

"I...ok. I'm willing to" she agreed awkwardly.

My heart fluttered as I suppressed my wings from mocking the same action. She awkwardly moved sitting facing outward.

I tried to wrap my arms around her but was just met with a wall of white feathers, "I know this may be awkward but. Can you face me? It will be better for your wings" I chuckle hoping to shake some of the awkward air.

She was slow and obviously embarrassed, nervous even in her movements but still obligated. I tried to keep calm remembering my dream from the other night as she straddled my lap.

I deliberately had her sit closer to my knees so she didn't notice anything that could make this even more awkward.

I finally pulled her forward resting my face in the crook of her neck again. She rested her head on the back of the couch slowly relaxing.

I was comfortable. She was safe in my arms. I moved to run my fingers through her feathers.  Her wings were pressed tight against her back so I worked straightening her feathers until she relaxed.

I preened any feathers I could. Something about preening was so intimate. I've talked to Rumi about it before but nearly freaked when she almost told (Y/N) about it. Preening is a activity usually for mates. I know I should tell her but I don't want to scare her off.

Am I overbearing? I don't mean to be needy for attention. I just want to show my affection. I've fallen, hard.

I finally felt calm. I grabbed her hips dragging her further towards me holding her closer. I was scared. Scared once we were done acting she would leave. Scared I'd mess up and she'd never want to see me again. Terrified that I would cause her pain.

"Hawks, hawks!"

I flinch and realise how tight I was holding her muttering an apology.

"Whats wrong? You were nearly crushing me" her hands landed on my shoulders while she moved to look into my eyes.

I don't want to lose you, "Nothing. Just stressed" I smile

She pressed her lips into a line but seemed to take my response.

Time felt like it slowed as I leaned forward my body acting on its own. The movement was small, subtle but the risk was beyond comparison.

I felt our lips barely brush when a knock at the door alerted us. She looked more startled than me scrambling to her feet.

"I should go back to work" her face was a crimson.

She hurried out as a sidekick came in dropping a new stack of paperwork on my desk.

My face fell into my hands. Did I just fuck up