Thirty seven

"Can I talk to you?" Lexie sat down beside Erin at the nurses desk, not giving her a chance to answer. "I hate apples. I don't think they should be a fruit. I can draw really well on an etch-a-sketch. If it was a job, that'd be my job. I play the trombone, badly. I like math. And I notice that you stress eat and that's a fact about you but I do it, too, so that's five things that I'm hoping will make it a little harder for you to hate me," she said.

Erin frowned at her.

"What did Meredith say to make you think that this was a conversation we needed to have?" Erin said.

"The baby you didn't want to work on, she was adopted. The dad didn't know anything about her but he did. He knew five things. And it's five things nobody else knew. And the wife adjusted to the baby straight away and the husband didn't. It took him some time to let the baby into his family. And Meredith said that to him, that it takes time to bring people into the family. And she was talking to him but she was talking about us. Me and you and her. You two and me," Lexie said.

"Oh," Erin realised. She looked back down at the file she was filling in. She sighed and picked up the pen. She scribbled down the last few notes and closed it over. "I'm allergic to hazelnuts. I love wearing skirts but I have a bad habit of flashing people my underwear when I wear them. I can sing but I don't because I get embarrassed when people ask me to sing for them. I can play the piano, the guitar and the violin and I can play songs from just hearing them. I don't need the sheet music or practise. That's four. Uh, I smoke sometimes. Five," Erin said.

Lexie smiled slightly.

"I'm going to Joe's bar. Fancy coming?" she said. Erin sighed and looked at her phone, Jesse's contact still up on the screen.

"I think I have plans. Thanks, though," Erin said.

"Your boyfriend?" Lexie asked. Erin shrugged.

"He could be. I dunno," Erin said.

"Well, you won't know unless you give him a chance," Lexie stood up, tugging her jacket on.

"Try not to sleep with Alex again, hey? I don't want to have to pick sides between my sister and my best friend," Erin said.

"I thought Meredith was your best friend," Lexie said.

"Meredith is my person. So is Cristina. Alex is my best friend. So is Callie, Arizona, Addison, the others," Erin shrugged.

"Sounds cool," Lexie smiled.

"Have fun at Joe's," she said.

"Thank you," Lexie said. Erin watched her leave the hospital and then picked up her phone. She pressed call and held the phone to her ear.

"Hello?" Jesse said.

"Hey. Uh, it's Erin. Grey. From the other night at Joe's," she said awkwardly.

"I was wondering when you'd stop freaking out and call me," Jesse chuckled.

"Sorry. I'm a bit of a mess," Erin said.

"I like messes," Jesse said. Erin looked at her stack of charts. "You up for a drink?" he said.

"Honestly? Yeah," Erin sighed happily.

"Joe's? Meet you there in twenty minutes?" he said.

"Yeah, see you there," Erin ended the call and sighed. She rubbed her face tiredly.

"So?" Arizona smiled at her from a patient's doorway.

"I'm meeting Jesse for drinks," Erin said. Arizona smiled wider.