Chapter 19 - Possibilities

Jamie's P.O.V:

Relationship? Did Matilde know about him and Lottie? Would this mess things up for Ellie? Were they in trouble? Jamie couldn't help but feel nervous about this.

"I have a feeling that you two...share something with each other, I suppose. Am I correct?" Matilde asked them both, tilting her head slightly.

"Y-yes, Your Majesty." Lottie replied, her hands trembling slightly, Jamie saw. He himself felt just as anxious, but his Partizan training made sure that it wasn't obvious to anyone else.

"I thought as much," the queen's face broke into a smile, "But I suppose that you two didn't want to tell anyone, including my husband and I, in fear of Eleanor's reputation, and because you, Charlotte, are a Portman."Jamie and Lottie both nodded their heads in unison, too nervous to speak, though Jamie felt calmed by Matilde's familiar lavender scent. He supposed that the queen wasn't quite a mother figure, but more of an aunt figure to him instead.

"I understand that you both want to put Eleanor first, and I greatly appreciate that, but I feel that the two of you deserve some contentment in life. I understand that your roles, Portman and Partizan, are difficult for you at such a young age."

She paused, giving them another intense look and soft smile. But Jamie saw a brief flash of regret on her face as she glanced over at him. "That is why I will allow your relationship, because I know that you always have Eleanor's best interests at heart," Matilde gazed longer at Lottie as she said this, "But you both deserve some happiness." She gazed longer at Jamie this time, and he felt what she was trying to say.

The queen was telling them that he and Lottie both were under immense pressure at a young age to try and protect the Maravish Princess. She believed that they both needed some sort of relief, and escape from this.

"I allow your relationship," she repeated again, her icy-blue eyes reminding Jamie of Lottie's, "Because I know that you both care about Eleanor, and you would never purposely try to hurt her or her reputation. As long as you keep it a secret, I'm sure the three of you will all be fine. Therefore, you have my permission." Matilde's face broke into a dazzling smile once more, but, somehow, it didn't seem forced or unnatural like Jamie expected it to be. It seemed...genuine.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Jamie said, finding his voice again. Matilde simply gave him another smile, then she turned around, and walked down the corridor, her billowing embroidered gown dancing around her.

Then Jamie and Lottie turned to each other in unison, both thinking the exact same thing.

It's possible.

Author's Note: Hi, thanks for reading! Sorry it was a bit of a short chapter; I didn't have much time, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. I would also love to hear some feedback on my writing and the story so far.