chapter two ; fashionably late

Start from the beginning

She slipped through the crowd, undetected and under no suspicion, and zeroed in to her target.

Alexander Brooklyn was the mafia bosses son, and was known to have quite the blabbermouth. Her mission was to identify him, introduce herself under her pseudonym, and do whatever it takes to make him talk.

It was quite the unsavory task, usually Dahlia preferred ones where all it took was a few punches and a few bullets and she was all set.

However, she'd never turn down a mission.

Especially one where she got to wear a pretty dress.

What? She could be a trained assassin and still like dressing up, it was allowed.

Alexander Brooklyn had spotted her from across the room about ten minutes ago, and she was very aware of this.

She decided to make her rounds with Alexander watching her, stopping to chat with a few of the mob bosses wives, forcing herself to laugh at the ridiculously sexist jokes they made.

After a few rounds of chatter, she finally made her way over to Alexander, sure he trusted her after watching her for a while.

He licked his lips as he watched her approach, meaning to be flirty but Dahlia had to hold herself back from cringing visibly.

"Hiya there," She played with a piece of her hair, putting on the act that came to every other girl in the room naturally. "You're Alex, right?"

Dahlia batted her eyelashes and gave him her best innocent eyes, and he instantly fell for it.

He puffed out his chest, clearly wanting to appear stronger. "Yep, that's me."

"I shoulda known," Her voice dripped with sweetness. "My father talks about you a lot."

"Who is your father, again?" Alex pretended that he knew who she was talking about, a play that made him fall right into her hands.

"Marco Pezzeti." Dahlia smiled, watching as his jaw dropped, a sign on familiarity.

"I didn't know he had a daughter, or that his daughter would be so beautiful." Alexander winked at her, and she fake sighed as he did so. "What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Alicia Pezzeti, nice to meet you."

Marco and Alicia Pezzeti weren't made up for the sake of her story, they were very much real. So real, in fact, that they were laying unconscious on their kitchen floor, as to keep her cover.

"I can't believe I'm even sitting next to you, honestly." She gushed. "I mean, your father is just so... important, and you're so, well, you."

Her giddy display made Alexander's ego soar toward the skies, just as she planned. Their ego was almost always their downfall. It was almost too easy to play them.

"We are very important, you know. My father has just recently made a deal with the head of a very top secret agency to manufacture new weapons." He claimed proudly.

Dahlia leaned her head on her hands, leaning in to make him feel like she was really listening.

"Well, father made me promise not to say anything about the exchange, so I should probably just stop here."