What Do You Mean?

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I want to talk to you about why you're so afraid, and how we can help you. Whatever you're going through, you're not alone."

"Mr. Stark, I am supposed to be here to help you, and I'm sorry. You have had to help me more that I feel I've helped you. You really don't have to worry-"

"Delilah, I know that something is going on. I don't know all the details, but I know that it is more than anyone your age should have to go through. Everyone in this tower is here for you."

"Mr. Stark, I really don't know what to do."

"You don't have to. It's okay to not have all the answers."

<<Tony>>
Delilah is getting smaller and smaller as we talk. What did this guy do to her? She's afraid to have an opinion, let alone voice it. I really hope that she opens up a little more. Either in person or in the group chat. It would just be nice to know that she has someone to talk to.

"Delilah?" I ask. "What is something you've always wanted to do?"

"What?"

"Something you've always dreamed of. A place you want to go or an activity you want to try, anything."

"I don't know."

<<Delilah>>
I do know. I've always wanted to be adopted. Ever since I found out about my parents, I've just wanted to feel loved again. I just want to feel wanted. I want to feel like I actually have a place in this world. I want to feel like more that a waste of space. But that doesn't matter. There are so many other kids who have it worse. They have to deal with more abuse than me. They deserve the love more than me. The world should love them, not me.

Mr. Stark is just looking at me. What does he want from me? I can't tell him. I know he wants to know, but I can't. There's too much. I don't want him to hate me. I can't take being hated by another person in my life. I just can't. I need to have someone, but how will I know when that person comes? How will I know when I can trust someone again? How will I know when I find someone who will love me?

"Delilah, what's going on kiddo?"

I look up, and feel the tear fall.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark. I can't."

"You can't what?"

"I just can't. I'm sorry."

"Delilah, you haven't done anything wrong. What are you sorry for?"

"Everything. I don't know what you saw that made you want to choose me, but I'm sorry. I can't do anything right. I know that I just need to stop trying. If I stop trying, maybe I'll finally do something right."

"Delilah, let me tell you what I do know. I know that you are a 13 year old kid that goes to Midtown Tech, which is a very difficult school to get into when you are 15, let alone 13. I know that you are in the foster care system, and that your life has not been the best. I know that you are scared of elevators, but you get in them anyway because you enjoy coming here, at least I hope you do. I know that Kayla and Grace love it when you get here because they love it when you greet them. I know that the rest of the Avengers love having you here because they think that you are a very nice kid. The only thing I can't figure out, is how you can't see any of this. You, Delilah Smart, are amazing, but you don't see it. Please, let us help you. We will understand more than you think. All we ask, is for you to let us help."

I don't know what to do. How am I supposed to respond to this? I can't see it. I don't understand what everyone else sees. I just know that no matter what, Mr. Atkins told me I was nothing. I heard it for so long, how can it not be true?