Chapter 15 - How Could He...?!

Começar do início

I frowned and my throat started to tighten with emotion. I hated arguing, especially with him. "Yes, I know that what I did was stupid, but I did it so I could fix the horrible thing you did."

He pointed to the door, signifying Megan. She was in this same hotel, in fact, and a few floors up. The Colonel's face started to turn red. "That girl needed to go! She needed to go, but you went and brought her back and caused me hell!"

"Caused you hell?!" I hollered. "You don't think I've been through hell enough through this whole ordeal?"

"That's your own damn fault and you know it! You wouldn't be in this mess if you listened to me to begin with! Ever since that girl, you haven't been obeying a word I say!"

I was quick to respond. "Only because she opened my eyes so I can see that you've been treatin' me like a dog the whole time you've been managin' me, makin' me do the things that you want me to do, not what I wanna do. I have no say in nothin'!"

"It has to be like that, Elvis!" he roared. "Or else you wouldn't be who you are! Yes, you're the dog here, and as of late, you've been off your leash!"

"Yeah, and I think I wanna stay off of it!"

Something strong and hard smacked my cheek left, and I realized that it was his hand. Tears immediately burned my eyes as I stared at him, not believing that he actually slapped me across the face. His own eyes turned bloodshot. "Elvis..."

I stalked passed him and left out the door, hand on my stinging cheek.

~ ~ ~

"See, that was fun, wasn't it?"

Allison had her arm around my shoulders as we sat on a bench in the back garden of this posh hotel. It was close to midnight, but neither of us could sleep because of all the excitement. "Yeah, I admit that it was. It was so neat to see him in concert when I thought that would never happen in my life."

"And now you experienced it for the first time, and who would've known that he would be singin' you a song?! Oh golly gee, that was sooooo sweet of 'im! I got goosebumps from it! And I'm pretty sure every girl in the audience was jealous of you."

"Maybe. I just... wow."

"I know. He was sayin' that he's doin' his best in this whole situation with the two of you. You really need to go up there to his hotel room and get a little somethin' somethin' on."

I gave her an appalled look. "Allison!"

She held me to her and giggled. "I was only kiddin'. Well, half-kiddin'. But really, you should let 'im know that you were touched by what he did."

I recalled how Elvis never looked away from me as he was singing that song for me, and he continued looking at me until the announcer said that he was gone. "Yeah... maybe when we get back home."