Chapter 3: A Broken Heart

Start from the beginning

"Here we are at my office." I opened the door for her

"Sorry for intruding."

"And here's Sakurai, my trustful secretary." I introduce to her

"Yoroshiku onegaishimasu." Sakurai bowed before her.

"Watashi wa namae wa Mai desu. Yoroshiku, Sakurai-kun."

"And this is my room which where I literally work." 

"Sugoii (Cool)! Ah, where should I put these?"

"Just put it there on the coffee table." 

"Okay~~" she said with a playful voice.

"How did you know that I work here?" I asked her and pointed her to seat on one of the sofas."

"Don't you remember that you always leave a letter to the guard everytime you leave the bar?" 

"Eh? I don't get it?" I asked confusingly

"You always write the letter behind your business card. That's where I found out that you work here." she explained proudly.

"Eh? Hontou?! (Really?!)" 

"Hahaha. Oh, eat you bento before it gets cold and I'm sure that you're pretty hungry." 

"Hai... Itadakimasu" 

I slowly opened the bento that she made. It's just a simple bento with onigiris(rice balls) in it but for me it was something special. It's the very first bento that Mai gave to me. Ureshii desu (I'm very happy.) 

"Do you like it?" she asked.

"Hai... It'shh very tashty and...."

"Don't talk when your mouth is full. You're very careless." she gently wipe off the rice off of my face.

I looked at her while she's wiping my face. She looks much more beautiful than before. It seems like there were so many changes that happened to her. Could she really have found her inspiration? I finished one onigiri after another until the box was already empty. I grabbed a cloth and wipe it on my face. While she, she's busy looking outside the big glass window. 

"Nee Mai, why did you come here?" I suddenly asked her.

"Is it bad for a person to visit her friend?"

"Nope."

"Well, now you know." she just crossed her arms and looked again at the window.

"Well, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine. I'm going to take another break tonight at the bar."

"Why? Is there any problem?"

"Nothing. Everything's alright." she said with a trembling voice.

"I could tell that there's omething wrong even if you hide it. Tell me."

She faced me, eyes filled with tears and fists that were close like she's just about to hit somebody. I  stood up and I walked onto her. I wrapped her into my arms and I never let her go. Then she started to cry.

"Kazu-kun, why does life have to be so cruel? Why do I always have to lose? Why do I have never been given a chance to prove myself that I'm worthy enough to be with him? I loved him so much but why does it have to end this way? Did something go wrong between us? We could have talked about it bbut why shouldn't we? I don't get him!" 

Him? Could it be that she broke up with her boyfriend? I suddenly felt a pain in my chest. The kind of pain that you will feel like your breatheless and very confused.

"Mai-chan..."

"Nee Kazu-kun, remember the time that you told me that I just need to find my inspiration? Well, I did found it but now it was gone. It left me.... Now I won't be able to fulfill my promise. Gomen ne Kazu-kun. Gomen..."

"Mai-chan, please stop crying. He's not the guy who's worthy for you. He's a guy who's worht for your tears. I don't know what really happened but please stop crying. You'll just waste your time. You could find another inspiration. An inspiraton that will never ever leave you. You would still be able to fulfill your promise. I'm still here, see?" I told her.

Me? Why me? I could have just told her that there's still plenty of guys around and she could fine someone way more better. But why me? 

 "Here, wipe your tears. And keep it so that at times that you'll need a shoulder to cry on, you'll remember that I'll always be here for you. But if I'm pretty busy just cry on that handkerchief and you'll feel much more better. Okay?" I looked at her with a smile.

"Kazu-kun, would everything be alright?" she asked.

"Yup. Promise." 

I felt her sigh and her seemed to be heavy breathings. I feel relieved after saying those words to her. At least I have done my very best to comfort her. I released her from my arms and faced her straight.

"Kazu-kun, arigatou." she forced herself a smile that could still light her face up.

"Kawaii yo (How cute)." I whisphered

"Eh, did you say something?"

"Ha? Ah eh, nothing."

"Really? What is it?" she jokingly asked.

"Oh it's getting late."

"Ehhhhh? Don't change the topic!" 

"I'll take you home." 

"Really? Yay! Then I'll show you the way." she exclaimed.

We went down the lobby, led her to my car, and drove her home. When we arrived infront of their gate.....

"Nee Kazu-kun, thank you for being there for me. It feels like you'll always appear whenever I've got problems. Teehee."

"You're welcome. Just remember that you' always got me."

"Hai, I won't forget. I promise you that I will never give up that promise. Make sure you won't forget to look for your dream. Jaa ne (Bye)."

"Hai, Jaa!" I bid goodbye to her and drove away from their house.

I looked at the side mirror of my car and saw her figure still standing outside of their gate slowly disappearing as the night comes.