The Kirone Dragon Ch.4

Chapter Four

The slight breeze tickles my nose, and the cold dry air bringing all too familiar scents of the city along with it. They're faint, stale. Unlike the usual busy nights, every road and alley in the city is deserted. Empty, silent. Did something happen?

The soft clicks of my claws echo through out the lonely passages, and street lamps flickered, dimmed, and burned out, leaving any late night travelers lost in the darkness.

I, however, am different from the humans. Whether it be day or night, black or light, the terrain never changes in my eyes, only now the green and blue tints were more distinguished, the boring shades of grey disappearing into the shadows.

Except for being seen by the few travelers with well trained eyes, I could move freely, without the fear of being caught in the open. I could breathe easier, less controlled.

The smog that came and went with passing cars had all but completely left the streets. Taking in the unpolluted air is as though I had just learned to breathe. It felt good, smelled good, even tasted better, and in the silent clear night, my senses are at their highest.

I stroll out into the middle of the road, something I have never done in my life on the run. It felt different, being in the open, not worrying. I could do as I pleased, without fear. Well, maybe a little.

I wander further out onto the wide, worn street marked with (tire?) tracks and cracks. Parked to the side was a blue... Actually... What is that? I reach out towards it tentatively, only inches away.

Now just two inches apart, I sheath my claws, hesitantly closing the distance, feeling the blue metal. It felt cold, smooth, and I shivered. Why would anyone travel in these large things. They wouldn't fit into small enclosed areas, and could not lift off the ground. It seems pretty useless to me...