Chapter 11 - Sizzlin' at the Pool

Start from the beginning

"And that's how I get stomped all over." He looked over at me. "You were right in sayin' what you did. I needed to hear it."

"I made ya feel terrible, didn't I?"

"Usually the most truthful words cut us the deepest. That's how we change somethin' about ourselves. I wanted to do somethin' and I did. I found your house and pulled you back here. It wasn't right, what the Colonel did."

"I bet he's mad at ya, huh?"

"Like I said, he'll get over it. He's gotten used to coverin' things up for me. Not that I've gotten into trouble a lot, though."

He looked over at me, held up the camera and took another picture. I rolled my eyes at that. "You might as well become a photographer."

"Nah. I just know beauty when I see it."

I looked over at him and saw that the blue in his eyes illuminated in the sunlight. "Remember what I said about you bein' a charmer?"

"Sorry if I'm makin' ya uncomfortable by sayin' stuff like that."

I shook my head. "No, no, I'm just not used to bein' called pretty all that time."

"That's a shame. You should be used to it."

I cracked a smile as I stared down at the glimmering water. "Thanks."

Silence ensued for a moment and birds chirped off in the trees. A soft warm wind blew. What a perfect day this was. I loved the summer.

"Megan... I wanna ask you somethin'..."

"And what's that?"

"Well, what you said right before you left the mansion, about that night I was drunk... that's actually what happened, right? You didn't make things up?"

Oh no. I dreaded this conversation, but I knew it would come eventually. "Yes, it was all true. I thought you deserved to know since you couldn't remember what happened."

"Yeah, and I still can't remember, no matter how hard I try. I'm just glad that's what happened and not somethin' else."

I looked over at him, and the sunlight shined onto his slicked dark hair, maknig it shine. "What do you mean?"

He met my gaze, and I saw a bit of pink in his cheeks. Was he blushing? "I mean, I'm glad that I didn't do anythin' else to ya. I'm already embarrassed enough as it is."

I smirked and shook my head. "Elvis, it's okay. We all can get like that when we've had a few too many. Plus, you wouldn't have done anythin' more because I wouldn't have let ya."

"Yeah, I guess that's true. You said I tried to kiss ya and you pushed me away."

My heart started beating a little faster, and I pushed my clasped hands into my dress skirt. I looked down at them sheepishly. "Well... like I said, you weren't in your right mind. I don't blame ya for anythin' that happened."

"I only wish I was in my right mind."

My eyes widened, and I looked over at him. "Wait, what?" He brought up his camera and snapped another picture. I scooted closer to him and tried to grab it from him. "Okay, okay, enough pictures."

He tried to hold out the camera from me as I reached for it. "Just one more."

"No, enough's enough. I'm not photogenic."

"Oh, I highly doubt that."

I still reached for the camera, and as we were battling each other for it, the diving board started moving. Elvis stood up, making it move even more. "Elvis, you're gonna make us both fall in."