King Gabriel had turned when he reached the Yule princess and started back, pausing now only steps away from us. He raised his chin and his voice as he addressed the crowd now.

"I am aware that this year there is added pressure, as there has been talk of an uprising."

This time, I and every other person standing before the King couldn't help looking straight at him. Staring, in some cases.
His own mother was clearly struggling with some shock at his words, and her jaw tightened.

"I would like to clear the air. Although I have put off choosing a mate, it has only been because none of those in previous years have been fit to be my mate."

His eyes swept the line of princesses and some of them, who had participated in the previous years, were clearly upset at this declaration. He might as well have told them to return to their territories right then.

Gabriel continued, "I am looking forward to the Hunt this year and the chance to find my match. But understand: this will be the year I choose a mate. And if any utterance of an uprising should be heard among my people, or those who have traveled here for the festivities, rest assured that they will be dealt with swiftly. As your Alpha, I will not tolerate any disrespect."

The crowd had grown completely silent and the scent of submission filled the air. Most people seemed startled, but I noticed as I snuck quick looks around that some were glancing to their neighbors.

It must be true then, I thought, surprised that word of a possible uprising hadn't reached our pack. Although we were the northernmost pack and the least visited by travelers, it was no secret that small groups were unhappy with King Gabriel. I had heard my parents whisper on occasion that it was only a matter of time before he was deemed unfit to lead the territories.

Gabriel's gaze swept for one final time over the princesses and he addressed them again in a calmer, quieter voice.

"There will be a dinner held to honor your arrival in two hours time. Servants throughout the castle will lead you to the Great Hall, if you are unfamiliar with it. Please let us know if there is anything at all that you might need."

Did I imagine it, or had there been a slight purr to those last few words?

He seemed to be extending an invitation to more than just the dinner, and with a look to my left, I noticed the Blue Pack's ladies visibly respond to his voice.

They straightened and rolled their shoulders, lengthening their thighs by stretching to the balls of their feet. Just looking at their heavy-lidded eyes had my pulse thudding in anticipation.

I kept my own eyes off of King Gabriel as he turned, offered Queen Raquel his arm, and headed back into the castle.

"Well that was quite the greeting," Sophia murmured, smoothing down her skirts as we waited for the princesses before us to be led through the doors and to their chambers.

The driver was unloading the car behind us. I watched him lift out my own small trunk and wondered what exactly should be worn to a formal dinner. I had never been to one before.

"Come on then Valarie," Sophia whispered excitedly, lifting her gown and stepping purposefully up the steps. I stepped quickly to keep up. "We need to get ready, and I wouldn't mind a bit of time to write to mother and tell her all about the welcoming committee."

Sophia flashed a quick grin as we turned a corner, following a small manservant down a high-ceilinged hallway toward our quarters.

We had taken two lefts, a right, and another left to end up in our wing. Already I knew it would be impossible to keep the layout of this place straight.