Chapter 1

(Reader) sighed as she sat in the living room of her one bedroom apartment. This quaint, yet increasingly lonely, living space had been her home for the past 6 months. She had just moved to Ikebukuro when she began to live in this apartment, and shortly afterwards, she met him. Izaya Orihara. At first, (Reader) hadn't necessarily liked Izaya. She found his views on humans and life itself to be too doleful and one-sided. Though she wasn't an optimist by any means, she at least preferred to look at life as something worth living for, not for being a simple pawn in a grand scheme.

Despite her constant rejection of any sort of friendly nature, Izaya never gave up. Her stubborn nature to ignore every single persuasive word that left his mouth, whether it was the truth or not, intrigued him immensely. He only wished that he could influence her in some way to tolerate him enough to listen to his words, and submit to him blindly so that he may use her as a pawn, just like the rest.

On that particular day, Izaya was attempting such a scheme now. He was perched on the ledge of her bedroom window, peeking inside just to steal a glance of how she looked when he wasn't around. She seemed peaceful and serene. He had to change that. The informant tapped on her window lightly, startling the poor girl to death as she rushed to the window to let him inside. "I live on the 5th floor! Are you trying to get yourself killed?!" She asked in a flustered expression. How had he even gotten himself up there? She wondered.

Izaya smirked and shrugged his shoulders. "Not exactly. Were you really that worried about me, (Reader)-Chan~?" He asked in a playful tone. She flushed a light shade of pink and shook her head, scoffing at his ridiculous claim. "No. I just didn't want to have to pay the insurance for your death on my property." She replied smoothly. The informant paused for a moment before bursting into a fit of laughter. "You're quite funny, (Reader)-Chan!"

(Reader) sighed and returned to the book she had been reading moments ago. Izaya frowned and snatched the book from her grasp, holding it high in the air so that she couldn't reach it. "Hey! Give it back, Izaya!" She pouted like a young child whose toy had just been taken away. "Tell me, (Reader)-Chan. Do you plan on staying in Ikebukuro?" He asked in a suddenly serious tone.

(Reader) nodded. "Yeah. It's not like I have the cash to go anywhere else." She answered dryly, hoping that would satisfy him enough to give her the book back. Much to her satisfaction, it was. He dropped the book into her hands, and walked to the door. "Well, thanks!" He answered quickly before leaving through her apartment door. (Reader) sighed. That was a tad weird, even for Izaya. She thought as she opened her book to continue reading.