Chapter 7 - Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches

Comincia dall'inizio

"Not a problem."

The seconds ticked by for a moment as we munched, and my eyes wouldn't leave that face of hers. Was she taken? Did she have a boy back in her neighborhood that she left? Of course, a pretty little thing like her would have all the Memphis boys fist-fighting over her.

"So... I talked with your father a couple days ago," she said after she swallowed, her eyes on her sandwich.

"Oh?" I took a bite.

"Yeah. I was cleanin' up his office, and he showed up earlier than I thought he would be home. I think he was comin' back from a speech that you had to make at an army base."

I nodded. "That's right. The Colonel didn't want 'im there." Irritation pricked my sternum at recalling the hurt look on Dad's face. "Said he would be a distraction. Honestly, I think I would've been more focused with 'im there."

"Did you say anythin'?"

"Nah. I didn't want to cause a commotion. "

"But you should've said somethin'. Speak your mind. Your father is another one of your managers, right?"

"He's the manager of Elvis Enterprises." I saw the annoyed look on her face. "Hey, it's alright. At least I was able to have my father with me the majority of the time that I was in Germany filmin' G.I. Blues. He came home about a week before me."

"Well, that must've been nice, then, having your father there with ya." She took another bite of her sandwich, and I saw that a little bit of peanut butter came off at the corner of her mouth. I held my plate with two hands so I wouldn't be tempted to rub away the stuff with my finger. I already crossed the line with touching her face the last time we had a conversation in this room.

"It was," I said.

"So, we talked about how you came to where you are now. It's quite the story."

"Yes, indeed it is. A lot of roadblocks that had to be pushed through, but I got here."

"Yes, and..." She looked down, away from my gaze, her eyes saddening. "I was told that you had a twin brother. I had no idea."

I nodded. "Yes, I did. Obviously, I never knew 'im. At least, I don't remember knowin' 'im. I like to think that we would've been polar opposites had he lived. Like, I would get into music and he would be a math teacher or somthin' like that."

She gave me a playful look. "And you wouldn't want to be a math teacher?"

"Ah, no. If Dad told ya everythin', you know that I wasn't a very good student."

"You just had a hidden talent that needed to be coaxed outta ya. Accordin' to what I was told, a lot of people helped with that."

"Yes, they did, and I will be forever grateful to 'em, especially my parents. They rooted for me and encouraged me. I think that's why Dad likes stickin' to my side. Both he and Momma were always there. She would have been in Germany with Dad had she not passed." I snickered. "She might have been appalled with a few things, though. It got kinda awkward on the set sometimes."

"How so?"

"Well, Dad was there when I had to be romantic with the female lead. Momma wouldn't have liked watchin' that."

I took a large bite of the sandwich and saw pink enter Megan's cheeks. "Romantic?"

I chewed then swallowed. "Yeah. Nothin' steamy or anythin' like that, just kissin'." Her face turned pinker, and I wanted to laugh at that. Instead, I took another bite, finishing off my sandwich. I put the plate on the counter behind me.