Chapter 2

It was like I was under some type of
spell, like the ones in movies where you can't move or say anything. That was when I realized that I liked Blake Thompson. I finally snapped out of it when I heard my fathers truck pull in the driveway. "Great, my dad is home" I said in disappointment. Avery jumped off of the porch rail, her feet landing in mud. "Well Harper, I'm going to head back before ma starts looking for me" she said while rolling up her pant legs. I was kind of thankful she was leaving so I wouldn't think about you know who. "Hope to see you at the party, that is if you change your mind". I wanted to go so bad just to be able to see him, but I knew that if I did, I'd have hell to pay when I got home. My parents, especially my father, are very protective over me. I know that if something happens to me, my dad would go on a killing spree. "There's my baby girl" said my father while walking up the porch steps, carrying his tin lunch box. "Hey dad!" I said, happy that he is still alive because of the job that he does. My father is a coal miner, and let me tell ya something, that is not a safe job to be doing. I went with him two years ago, because I had to do some job shadowing for my sophomore year. Yes I know that I was only sixteen at the time, but it was a project that had to be done. He was all covered in black coal dust, and he chased me in the house trying to get it all over my dress. I could smell my mothers homemade dumplings, and my mouth automatically started watering. "Hey no running in the house, how many times do I have to tell you this Harper" my mother said furiously while setting the table. I sat down and gave my father a go to hell look because he got me yelled at, my mother always took everyone's side but mine. "Honey we were just playing around, don't get all upset" my father said while winking at me. It was about 6 when we started eating, and it was quite for some reason. "Well you guy's must like my cooking because neither one of you are saying a word" mother said while taking a drink of water. My mom thinks that shes the greatest cook in the world, sometimes me and pa have to act like we like what we're eating. "So Harper, how is the photography coming along?" my father asked while taking his last bite. I've always been a good photographer, ever since I've been able to work a camera. Thats what mama always told me. "Its going pretty good, I went to the old steel bridge the other day and took some good shots." I tried to sound like it was interesting, but I had one thing on my mind that was killing me. "I wanted to go to old Bakers field to take pictures, that barn would be a perfect shot" but before I could get the rest of what I had to say out, my father knew just exactly what I was hinting towards. "Heard there was a big party goin on down in old Bakers field tonight" my eyes went straight to him when he said "Bakers field". How did he know? He's not supposed to know about what goes on down in that field, it's not like anything bad goes on there. "Party?" I said with a shocked look trying to act like I didn't know about it. "I didn't even know there was a party going on down there, how did you find out?" My mother looked at me and then back at my father, she knew what was getting ready to happen. Without saying a word, father got up and went upstairs to take a shower, and I got up to help with the dishes. "Your father is just worried about you Harper, he knows what goes on in Bakers field because thats where everyone goes and gets half shit faced." I was shocked then, I've never heard my mother cuss in my life and the thought of them thinking I would get drunk. Why would I get drunk? I probably couldn't even hold down one sip without getting sick. I wanted to look at her and tell her the real reason why I wanted to go, but then I would have to hear the "sex" talk all night. The nerve of some people. "I know ma, but it is just a photographer thing, you see something that catches your eye and you just have to get it on camera." I said while putting the dishes up. I know that I always have tomorrow, hell I even have forever to take a picture of that stupid barn, but I wanted to see Blake and I was going to do anything that I could just to see him. It was around 9:30 when everyone went to bed, I lay still looking at the clock and then back at the ceiling. "I bet everyone is having a blast at the party", I said to myself. Who goes to bed early on a Friday night anyway? I mean you can go to bed early on weekdays but on a weekend, that's just plain crazy. I sat up in my bed and was looking around, then the greatest idea hit me right in the face! I was determined to go to that party, and since my father wouldn't let me, there was only one thing to do. Sneak out. Ive never snuck out of my house before, I shouldn't even have to sneak out since I live here. What ever happen to "a free country?" So I got up, tipped toed to the door, and tried to avoid the creaks and cracks of the floor. "Man this is just a trap for me, I bet that's why they put me in this room to begin with." But what they didn't know, is that there is a grape vine fence on the side of the house, right underneath my window. "Smart thinking" I said to myself while putting on my wrangler jeans and a cute button up shirt that showed my belly a little. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it the smart way. I had a manican head in my closet that was mine from cosmetology, so I grabbed it and a couple of blankets. I stuffed the blankets under my covers and put the manican head on my pillow to make it look like I was in bed. Thank god for the man who made manican heads, because this saved my ass from getting caught. I finished getting ready and I grabbed my boots, smart enough not to put them on, opened my window and threw them out. I started to climb out before taking one last look back at the decoy. This was going to be one hell of a night!