Emma dusted y/n's shoulders. "Now what were you saying about Ray?" She said, ignoring y/n's last comment.

Y/n could feel her face heating up. "I-uh.. just that.. he kinda.." y/n mumbled and spewed out words that Emma couldn't make out. Emma stared at her friend, a look of confusion looming over her features. Y/n's Face was bright red.

Emma and y/n sat there a moment. Emma watched her friend nervously play with her fingers, while y/n counted each crack in the floor. Y/n looked up as she suddenly felt heat. Emma was leaning over to see y/n's face.

"Do you like Ray, y/n?" Emma asked. Her voice was blunt, with teasing undertones. She had a small smirk forming on her face.

"No!" Y/n yelped. "I barley know him!" That was partially true. She only knew Ray from small encounters. Usually y/n loosing a button, and Ray finding it. They had never truly held a conversation, though y/n wished they could.

"Do you wanna?" Emma tilted her head, making her lean over more. Y/n wondered if she would fall.

A bell sounded from behind her. One of the kids about her age(she'd failed to learn his name) tang a bell. "Lunch is ready!" He smiled.

Again, Emma had a hold on y/n's hand and was dragging her down the hall. Y/n wondered if this would be a recurring thing. Emma was a lot faster then y/n, and she wondered how the nine year old could move so quickly.

"You should sit with us!" Emma smiled at the h/c haired girl. Y/n shrugged, figuring she didn't have much of a choice.

Y/n took her seat next to Emma. She reached into her pocket, finding a button she had acquired when one of the kids' shirts tore.

"Y/n! No buttons!" Emma ripped the button from her hand and pointed her finger in a scolding manner. "You can have it later." Emma had a small smile on her face when she put the button away.

Does she like buttons too?

"Yo." Ray's voice almost made y/n leap from her chair. He had taken the seat to the left of her. Emma returned the greeting, as well as said her hellos to Norman.

Y/n felt awkward wedged between the trio. She wondered if she should make a dash for the bedroom and skip lunch. Her love for food, however, made her stay.

"Oh, y/n," Norman reached around and waved his small hand to get her attention. "Ray has an early birthday present for you!"

"My birthday isn't until tomorrow." Y/n blinked.

"That's why it's called an early present." Emma smiled widely.

Ray's face had a hint a pink to it as he answered. "Oh yeah.. it's in my draw. I'll get it after we eat." Norman side eyed him. Ray's eyes widened and went back to normal in a silent response. Y/n tilted her head I'm confusion. She decided it would be better not to try and decipher the exchange.

When they had eaten, y/n slowly shuffled behind Ray to his bed. Not to y/n's knowledge, Emma and Norman were watching the pair with great interest.

Earlier, Ray's POV

"I don't like her!" Ray scoffed and crossed his arms. "I just wanted to help her."

Norman smiled. "You like her." He poked Ray's shoulder. "Just admit it."

"I bet she likes you too!" Emma did a little hop. "I could ask!"

"No!" Ray's eyes widened in terror. "That's the last think you should do!" Emma looked greatly offended at his words.

"Come on Ray," Norman gave him a supportive smile. "Tell her. After lunch."

While Norman was convincing Ray, Emma slipped off to the girl's bedroom. She thought of how she could approach y/n without being completely obvious. She decided she'd figure it out when she got there

Currently

"Sooo.." y/n's voice trailed off. "What is it you wanted to show me?"

Ray was practically bursting on the inside. He tried hard to keep himself from sweating or making weird faces. "Uh.. hold on." He quickly shuffled over to his draw.

Y/n rocked on her feet, looking a round. The room was hardly different from her own. She could hear kids running up and down the hall, probably playing tag inside.

Ray suddenly swung around, his hands clasped together. Y/n jumped at the movement. "I found them!" He said, a small smile on his face.

"What is it?" Y/n asked, leaving closer to his hands. She shuffled closer to him, and Ray could feel his face heating up.

He opened his hand and y/n's heart skipped a beat. "Buttons!" She exclaimed. "Different colored buttons!" She took two in her hands, examining them. There were purple ones, blue ones, green ones, and other colors. They were much different from the plain ones found around the house.

"Where did you get them?" Y/n looked up at Ray. Her eyes were shining with excitement. Ray couldn't help but smile more.

"Just around." He shrugged. He was caught off guard as she wrapped her arms around him. She hugged him tightly.

"Thank you!" She said. Her voice was muffled, but still audible.

Ray hugged her back. "Your welcome."
Ray followed her halfway down the hall as she y/n ran to add her special buttons to her collection. Ray watched her with a smile.

"So, that's who the buttons were for." Ray jumped as Isabella walked up to stand beside him. "That's why you requested them."

Ray looked away sheepishly. He couldn't stop thinking about how brightly you smiled upon seeing the buttons. He'd never admit it, but he hoped one day you'd smile that much from just seeing him.