Chapter 5 - A Helpin' Hand

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I know, and I didn't know any better back then. I think I agreed to the Colonel because he told me he would do great things for me."

"Now you're questioning it."

I let out a breath through my nose, thinking about this. "Dad, Megan compared the relationship I have with the Colonel to a dog and their owner, where the owner tells the dog what to do and he has to obey him. I've never thought 'bout it 'till now."

"That he's the owner and you're the dog?"

"Yeah."

Dad typed some more, then took the paper out of the typewriter. "Well, Elvis, you should know by now that that's the way it's supposed to be. The managers run the star's life - schedules everythin' for 'em and basically takes care of everythin'. They are more a second parent."

I smirked and gave my father a loving look. "Dad, no one would be able to be a parent to me other than you."

"You're such a sap."

I chuckled at that. "Well, maybe I am. So... do you think Megan's right?"

Dad folded his arms over his desk, over the paper he typed up for the Colonel. I stared at his blue eyes that I inherited. He nodded, and my eyes widened at his answer. "I agree that the Colonel can be a little over-the-top, but not so much that it's cause to fire 'im and hire another manager. Without Colonel Parker, where would you be right now? Certainly not as big as you are. He's the one that has scheduled everythin' that you have been in, includin' shows, movies, concerts... and he has contacted record companies on your behalf and pulled a lot of strings."

I nodded. "Yes, I'm very thankful for everythin' that he has done for me in the past four years. Maybe I was just over-thinkin' things."

"Or Miss Brighten was over thinkin' things and you sided with her since you hate to see girls cry, especially ones that you're a little sweet on."

My heart jumped at that. "What?"

He smiled and gave me a sly look. "I know ya, son. You love the ladies, and you've loved 'em since you were two feet tall. This Miss Brighten has captured your heart, and I will be as bold to say that she captured it more so than Miss Beaulieu."

I bit my bottom lip, not liking that I could agree with my father. I fell for Priscilla at first sight, but because she was pretty, and because she was mature for her age. With Megan, it was her love of music, of my songs, and her concern for me and my happiness. Plus, the moment I saw her at the piano, and I could see the side of her face, her eyes closed as she played, and with the sunlight shining on her, illumining her face... she resembled an angel.

"I... maybe," I said. "I just appreciate 'er."

"Sure, sure, say what you want. You know? I never thought that you would go for younger girls, robbin' the cradle and all."

"Teen-aged girls are as much women as older women," I argued. "They're just younger. They have everythin' an older women does, aside from age."

"Okay, okay, I won't badger you about that anymore. Now, I have to get this sent off to that manager of yours."

He got up from his desk and started for the door. I stood up out of the chair and faced him. "Daddy." He turned around. I shoved my hands in my black slacks pockets. "Just... thanks, for listenin' and bein' there."

He came up to me and wrapped me in a hug and patted my back. I patted his as well. "No problem, son. It's just the two of us and will be until further notice."

"Don't say stuff like that, Dad. Momma was sick. You're fine."

"I'm just sayin'."

We let go of one another. "How 'bout I just hand that to the Colonel when he comes by in an hour?" I asked.