↪ CHAPTER EIGHT

・.━━━━━━━━━━━━ † ━━━━━━━━━━━━.・

The sound of five-inch heels clicking against the ground constantly echoed the marble floor as the doors to a room flew open. "What happened?!" Roman yelled moving inside and taking a seat around the table where the Secretary of State stood at the head of the table.

"I'm sorry I'm late" Roman apologized taking a seat next to Steve. "Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilante"

The Secretary of state said, "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked as the Secretary's voice was serious as he spoke. "How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks. "New York" he pointed as a video popped up on the screen behind him. 

A Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. The Hulk smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Roman bit her lip as regret was plastered on Rhodey's face as he glanced at Natasha.

"Washington DC" Ross called as the video changed to another one, The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera.

Sam looked down and Roman starting playing with her fingernails as Ross dug up their past, "Sokovia." Ross called out as Roman's chest fell heavy at the sound of the country Pietro died in Terrified citizens, running. The city rising. A building falling over.

Wanda stares at the screen, as do Tony and Roman terrible memories came soaking in, "Lagos." Roman sucked in a breath, The burning building. Paramedics moving a body. A dead girl.

Roman noticed Wanda looked particularly affected by the footage from Lagos. Thankfully Steve sees this and intervenes. "Okay. That's enough." Steve firmly said as Ross looked at his aide and gave him a nod to stop the images.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross said tossing a thick document in front of Wanda who slides it over to Rhodey.