"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Coral joined them, hissing at the drunk man. Johanna's eyebrows shot up as Coral stepped closer, poking a finger at his chest. "That was immature and not good. You can't just run off when you see someone you don't like. You're a grown man, act like one."

He seemed to shrink under her words while Odette seemed to grow. "Coral, he's allowed to go away. He's not some pet monkey. I think-"

"Don't baby him," Coral snapped, visibly growing red under her makeup. "We have two tributes out there who need you to help them survive. Getting them money is the most important task."

"As if this is going to help," Johanna interrupted. "You're yelling at a drunk man at a shitty party for an even shittier event."

"That doesn't change-"

Johanna rolled her eyes, taking a step forward so she was just a bit in front of Finnick and Odette. "They're not going to like you more, Coral," she sneered, interrupting her. This was why she didn't like the careers, they tried to please the Capitol, even after everything. "Stop being a fucking asshole to please the people who almost killed you and wouldn't stop there."

"Johanna," Odette said softly, glancing around. People were staring. Coral's mouth was pressed shut, her lips thin as she tried to hold back. She had everything to lose and Johanna nothing. For a moment, there blazed a challenge in Coral's eyes, one Johanna wanted to take. She had plenty more ugly and cruel truths to throw around. But Odette placed her hand on her side. Awkwardly, afraid to do something she wasn't supposed to while still clinging to Finnick.

Then Coral's face clicked into a smile. "Alright, I'll see you later." And she turned around, smiling at the few people who heard. Johanna shook her head. She felt Odette release a breath beside her, squeezing her side before letting go.

"Thank you," she said, her smile bright as she turned fully to face Johanna. "I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for you."

"That's twice today I saved your ass," the tension easily rolled off her when Odette didn't seem worried. Not about what she'd said, not about what people had heard. "What happened?"

She sighed, turning back to Finnick. He was pale and uncharacteristically quiet. "Someone he knew was talking to him. He's had a lot to drink, I just heard him talk loudly and run off. I should get some water and take him out."

"I didn't know you were that close,"

Odette glanced back at her, the smile over her face teasing. "Jealous?" Johanna rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. Odette giggled, shaking her head at last. "Close enough. Especially when it comes to these things. Who else is going to take care of us?" 

No one would. Everyone was on their own, responsible for picking up their own pieces. It had never occurred to her that Odette was trying to pick up the pieces of others. It wasn't until then that Johanna realized she'd picked up some of hers, too. "You're too good to be here."

It slipped, eased out by a few drinks and words and thoughts she kept safely bottled up. Odette blinked, her face remained still too long. Then she smiled; her soft, real smile. It only lasted a moment. When she glanced back at Johanna, she looked over her shoulder, then stepped forward to kiss her cheek. "I'll see you later."

It was soft and gentle and different than screaming at someone at a party. It was this that left her flustered.

***

The knock was soft, much different than the loud, desperate sniff that followed it. She knew who it was before she pushed herself up from the bed.

Normally, Odette waited until Johanna spoke or pulled the door open. That night, she pushed herself inside. Her breathing was labored, her eyes red and brimming with tears. Her hair hung In strange waves, still clinging to the shape it had been forced in earlier.