I grinned, loving that I contributed to Elvis being genuinely happy. "Really?"

"Don't let it get to your head, though. I know my daughter. Your eyes sparkle like the stars in the heavens when he is in your sights. "

"I'm only his fan," I defended as I went over to the little table in the room and started to fold the yellow, light-blue and white towels that were on it. Mamma came up to me and started folding as well.

"Yes, you're his fan, but you're also a pretty girl, and he's a very handsome man. Just be careful. I don't want that Colonel Parker bein' right 'bout what he said 'bout ya."

Mamma didn't know about what I told Elvis in the kitchen, that I wasn't working in the mansion to earn money. I also didn't tell her about his thumb touching the corner of my mouth. "I know. I'm going to be thinkin' 'bout it all the time now."

We continued folding, and all that ran through my noggin was him. Basically, I was to do my job, and do it only. I couldn't put myself in between Elvis and his manager, and I couldn't fall in love with Elvis.

Well, that would be difficult. I was his fan, but I knew him on a personal level now, and he told me in a sweet, sincere tone, his gaze boring into my soul, that I wasn't like the other crazy fan girls that he came across. He had also touched me in a place no one had in two years.

How was a girl not supposed to fall in love after that? And how was a girl not supposed to do anything when the object of her affections was mistreated?

~ ~ ~

The sky grew dark, yet the night was still young. Screaming fans lined the road as the car I sat in went by. I had just finished talking with the men at the air force base, and the road out of it was lined with screaming girls. At least from the sound of it, they were all girls. I took off my military hat that I wore in Germany, both when I was there in the service and in the filming of the movie. I rolled down my backseat window, contrary to the Colonel's advisement. I saw girls screaming with red faces. No boys, as I thought. I smiled and waved as I passed them, and they tossed objects at me, such as purses, lipstick, shoes... one girl threw her underthings. I resisted laughing. I shut the window as soon as we passed the screams.

"That is why you need to keep that window shut," Colonel Parker said gruffly next to me, and I threw a pink bra to the floor of the car. "They could've taken out your eye, or one of them could have ran over and ripped off your shirt as you sat there."

I smirked at that. "Yes, but I don't mind 'em rippin' off my shirt. They're the ones who put it on my back in the first place. It's them that makes me famous."

"That's right, but I still want my star to survive to the next morning."

"You worry too much."

"And that's a bad thing? I say you worry too less. That maid of yours is a case in point."

Immediately, thoughts of Megan's and my discussion in the kitchen came to my memory. It shocked me to my core that I came across another girl who I wanted to kiss like I wanted to kiss Priscilla for the first time. In fact, I wanted to even more so. "Are you still goin' on about her? She's just your average girl who wants some money for school. I'm willin' to give it to her."

"Maybe you can be quick about it. The sooner she goes, the better."

I really hated feeling negatively, but it just came and couldn't be stopped. I let out a breath through my nose as something gripped my sternum. I put my hat back on my head so I wouldn't twist it form my annoyance. "She doesn't want my help in gettin' to school faster. She already made that clear. She's gonna stick 'round as long as she needs, and she'll get paid the same as everyone else who's hired there."

The Housekeeper's Daughter [Elvis]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें