Chapter Fourteen - The Opera

Fed up with her brother and his antics Jen decided to attend tonight's festivities at the side of Lady Danbury and not her brother, which was a win-win for both the Basset siblings for Simon did not wish to attend at all.

With gatherings like this Jen had forgotten about the amount of socialising she would be forced to partake in at the side of Lady Danbury, perhaps she should have come with her brother and simply ignored him, but it is too late for that now as she is stood pretending to listen to the pointless conversation the Queen was currently holding with Lady Danbury. Scanning to room she hoped to see anyone she might recognise, but it was of no use. That was until she laid eyes on Anthony who was conversing with friends across the room. She wished to go join him but knew it would be frowned upon by Lady Danbury and would result in being the gossip of the ton thanks to Lady Whistledown.

Nearly being bored to death where she stood, she quickly perked up upon hearing Lady Danbury speak to the Bridgerton's. "Lady Bridgerton! I would like to welcome you both to my box this evening, I insist" she stated, leaving no room for any arguments. It was unlike Lady Danbury to invite guests, but for whatever reason she had tonight Jen was not complaining. She would finally be able to watch the opera in peace and let Lady Danbury bore poor Lady Bridgerton to death with her commentary tonight.

With a smile Jen led Daphne to the box and they took their seats upfront, leaving the two older ladies to be seated at the back in private.

Completely enthralled and mesmerised by the singing of the lady on stage, both Daphne and Jenifer paid close attention with the aid of binoculars to allow them to see better. Both too caught up in the opera to pay any heed to the conversation occurring right behind them.

"They are saying her husband will not live till the end of the month" Lady Danbury stated looking in the direction of the Queen's box.

"Surely another rumour provided by that vicious, scandal-mongering writer. Should her degradation know no bounds?" Violet questioned, bemused by Lady Whistledown and her writings.

"Lady Whistledown writes about my family too. Yet I suppose the Duke can withstand such scrutiny, since he is, after all, a man. Jenifer does not afford such luck however, but she seems not to pay any heed to it" Lady Danbury stated while glancing over at Jen only to find her mesmerised by the singing.

"His Grace was fortunate to have you there with him as a child, as was dear Jenifer, after what happened to their mother. Awful!" she says with a shake of her head at the thought of their mothers unfortunate end.

"He is not what Whistledown writes" Lady Danbury mumbles

"Nor is Daphne"

"It would seem the two of them have that much in common then. Matches have certainly been made with far less" Lady Danbury suggests with a raised eyebrow.

Now it is Violets turn to look in the girl's direction, slowly piecing together what Lady Danbury has in mind for the Duke and Daphne.

"What are you suggesting?"

"Lady Whistledown merely writes what she sees. Perhaps we need to help her to see things a bit more clearly... the Duke and his sister are quite fond of gooseberry pie" she implies while focusing her gaze at the events taking place on the stage for the first time that evening.

"The very dish my cook is renowned for" she says with a grin, now knowing why she had been invited to join Lady Danbury in her box that night. Both ladies began to chuckle while Daphne and Jenifer sat completely clueless as to what has happened behind them the whole evening.

That night during the intermission Jen got to know Daphne a little better, for all she really knew of the girl beforehand was that she was the fourth born Bridgerton and the first-born girl. All Anthony had ever said in relation to his sisters was that he adored them and would do anything for them, Jen could now see why. When Daphne spoke about topics with such passion, curiosity and wonder it was hard not to find yourself feeling the same. She had such a positive outlook towards life and Jen was glad Anthony had such a wonderful sister by his side.

Jenifer just hoped she would be able to see her again and learn more about her and the rest of the Bridgerton family soon.

After bidding both Bridgerton ladies farewell they made their way back to the Hastings home.

"You seemed to have rather enjoyed the opera dear" Lady Danbury mused whilst continuing to stare out the window of her carriage.

"I did. I also enjoyed speaking with Miss Bridgerton, I should like to invite her over sometime soon I think" she pondered, wondering when the best time to do so would be.

"Oh, no need dear, you and your brother will be having dinner at the Bridgerton's tomorrow evening. I have already agreed so you cannot refuse" she stated looking at Jenifer.

With a smile and a short laugh, she said "That is perfectly well by me, but good luck convincing Simon, Lady Danbury"

"Oh, my dear, I will have no convincing to do. If your brother knows what is good for him then he shall do as he is told" she states with a firm look.

With a roll of her eyes and yet another laugh Jen mumbles "Yea alright" and looks out the window as the ton passes by her.

When they arrive at the Hastings house, Jen notices her brother staggering towards the front doors, "Yay, he's drunk, again" she mumbled to herself as she made her way to assist her idiot brother, although her comment did not go unnoticed by Lady Danbury.

"Ah sister you have returned home from that boring opera! Do tell me how did you not die of boredom?" he queried, nearly tripping over his own feet. Taking out his flask he raised it to his lips, only for it to be swiped from his hands from Lady Danbury with an unimpressed look.

"I do believe you have had quite enough, don't you?" she said with a stern look that sobered him up quite a considerable amount.

"Umm... yes... I do believe you are right" he coughed, wishing for her intense stares to cease at once.

"Let's get you inside brother" Jen says while wrapping her arm around his waist and slinging his arm over her shoulder to steady him as he walked.

"Jenifer do not forget I accepted the invitation at the Bridgerton's for both your brother and you. Do make sure he turns up wont you?" she enquired as she returned to her carriage ready to leave.

"I will see to it that he attends Lady Danbury" she nodded and escorted her brother to his chambers for the evening.

Throwing him on his bed, Jen let out a sigh of relief that she managed to get him there in one piece and they had not fallen down the stairs.

"WhydidshementionBridgerton?" he mumbled dace first into a pillow.

"Pardon brother?" she questioned moving closer to the bed and taking a seat beside him in hopes to hear him better.

Turning his face to look at her he repeated "Why did she mention Bridgerton?"

"Oh, nothing important, we shall discuss of it in the morning brother" she said while standing and making her way towards the door.

"She told you... about the opera singer, did... didn't she?" he mumbled while his eyes slowly began to close.

"Told me what of the opera singer?" she questioned, confused how that related to the Bridgerton's in any way, but it was too late to push any further for Simons breathing had become heavy and her was in a deep sleep.

She would just have to ask him about the matter in the morning what the Bridgerton's had to do with the opera singer she was fascinated by all evening.