Ch. 16: What a Hero

I speed walk alongside a mother, who's carrying one of her four children as she ushers her kids onto the boat. I hand her the kid I was holding before quickly running back and gesturing for everyone to keep moving.

"These boats are filling up fast! Do you think we'll be able to fit everyone?" I call into the coms, stating my concern. Are we even going to be able to fit ourselves?

"We have too! We aren't leaving with a single person on this rock!" Steve called back as he was somewhere's else in the crowd, also hurrying people up. I can hear more things blowing up, more things crumbling. I try to pay no mind and continue helping people on the boat, without question. I'm just focusing on the mission.

"Thor, I've got a plan!" Tony comes in through the coms again, informing Thor, and everyone else, that he's got a plan. Thank god. Tony's plan can go either one or two ways, wrong or right, and let's just hope it goes right.

"We're out of time. They're coming for the core." as Thor's words sound in my ear, I let out a groan.

"Tony, your creation is a piece of shit. He just never gives up... wonder where he gets that from." I mumble the last part as I speak to Tony.

"Yeah, I know. Rhodey, get the rest of the people on board that carrier. Avengers, time to work for a living." Tony assembles us, letting us know that we've got to get to the church. I begin my run through the crowd, still telling people to head to the boats. But once again, my hair is being flipped in front of my face as a gust of wind brushes past me.

"Need a lift?" I turn in the direction of Pietro's voice, the smug smirk on his face makes me want to laugh, in a good way.

"That would be great, if you're offering and there's no strings attached." I smile back, hoping that I was going to be swooped up and ran to the church. Just as I suspected, Pietro chuckles, swooping me up, and in the brief second it took, we're in the church.

"Princessa," Pietro chuckles again, still holding me in his arms. A thought pops into my head as I get a cleaver idea to do something. Quickly, I lean up and press a kiss to Pietro's cheek before I drop down off of him.

"Why thank you, kind sir." I do a pretend curtsy, smiling as I notice the blush on Pietro's cheeks. I walk away with a pip to my step as I sway my hips slightly.

As the other Avengers gather in the church, the robot corpses begin piling upon us. Punches, kicks, hammers, shields and powers are all being used as we take down the bots in numbers. I mainly stay with the core, creating a shield around it while using a variation of my powers at the same time. The bots stop coming, giving everyone a break to look around and check up on each other. I hunch over and try to catch my breath, but out of the corner of my eye, I see Wanda and Clint walk into the church.

"Well, it's about time," I say, completely out of breath as I walk away from the core and towards Clint, embracing him in a hug,

"Romanoff. You and Banner better not be playing 'hide the zucchini.'" I choke on air as I hear Stark's sexual joke. I turn around in disbelief, returning to my spot and saying absolutely nothing.

"Why does Tony not have a douchebag jar?" I question out loud, getting curious looks from all the Avengers as they ponder the idea.

"Relax, shellhead. Not all of us can fly." Nat comments back through the coms, finding Tony's comment amusing. In a second, a bulldozer knocks down a fence just outside the church, and outcomes Natasha.

"What's the drill?" she lines up with the rest of us, asking to be filled in on what's going on,

"This is the drill. If Ultron gets his hands on the core, we lose." something shakes the ground as something outside crashes. I turn my head to see the Hulk destroy another bot before walking in, and lining up with the rest of us. But just as he moves, Ultron comes into view,