Chapter 2

Aizawa POV:

Aizawa came in the door and went right over to where Kaminari was sitting, on the ground, his legs to his chest, the phone to his ear.

"Kaminari." Aizawa knelt down beside him. Kaminari looked up. His face was panicked and tear stained. Aizawa faintly heard Mina on the phone.

"Give me the phone." Kaminari numbly handed it to him.

"Mina, I'm with Kaminari."

"Good." Mina sounded relieved. Aizawa hung up and focused on Kaminari, who was staring at the ground, tears still running down his face.

"Kaminari, we're going to my house." Kaminari made eye contact with Aizawa. His eyes... They were like broken glass. Already cracked to pieces, but not beyond being shattered again. He's my student, it's my job to take care of him. Aizawa held out his hand. Kaminari took it and Aizawa helped him up. He pulled Kaminari along like a small child, and took him to his house. They pulled up to the driveway and both got out.

"Kaminari, you can stay in a room with Shinso. You know him right?" He nodded numbly. Aizawa led him into the house and knocked on the door of Shinso's room. He opened it.

"Ye-" He started to ask, then saw Kaminari. "What happened!? Kaminari are you-"

"Kaminari's mom just died." Aizawa explained. "He's staying with us for a while. He'll be sleeping in your room."

"Okay." he looked at Kaminari. "Come on, we can go to my room." Kaminari didn't react. His eyes were wide and unfocused.

"Kaminari?" He still didn't answer.

"The shock is kicking in. Take him in the room, he should sleep for a while." Shinso put his arm around Kaminari and led him into the room.

Shinso POV:

"Shinso..." Kaminari whispered "Shinso she's gone..."

"Don't think about that. Just go to sleep, okay?" Kaminari looked up at him. His eyes were full of fear.

"I have no one left..."

"Kaminari sit down, you look really pale." Kaminari sat down on the bed. His eyes filled with tears. He started sobbing and used both hands to wipe the endless flow of tears. Shinso sat on the bed and hugged him.

"I know what it's like to lose a parent," he said. "You feel alone, but you aren't. Everyone is here to support you. I saw the way the other kids acted around you during training, they all care about you." Kaminari didn't answer.

"Kaminari?"

"Y-" The yellow haired boy's eyes turned gray and glassy.

"Go to sleep" Kaminari slumped on Shinso, who lay him down on the bed. He reminds me so much of me on the day I lost my parents. I'll help him, the way no one could do for me.

Kaminari POV:

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. The stages of grief. At least, that's what Hound Dog told him. Every time he went to a counseling session he just sat in silence. Even when Hound Dog lost his temper and got mad at him, he didn't move. What was the point anyway? The stages he talked about made it sound easy. Neat little chunks of feelings, switching orderly and then ending, but that never happened.

He felt denial, but it was quickly replaced by a waterfall of messy emotions. Depression, fear, sometimes anger, but only anger at himself. Angry that he hadn't been around her more before she died. Then a brief, relieving moment of acceptance, maybe he could move on, then guilt. Overwhelming guilt. How can I move on? She's my mom! Then the cycle started again. He was stuck in this soul draining pattern for the entirety of the 3 weeks UA gave him to mourn.

Kaminari spent most of his time sitting on the top bunk of the room he shared with Shinso and staring at a stain on the wall. He studied it for hours, until Shinso came in and brought food for him, and maybe said some comforting words, but he never heard them. He barely ate either. He just sat, staring. Trying not to drown in the tsunami of emotions that surrounded him, but he couldn't stay afloat. He was broken.

(Not my fan art)

(Not my fan art)

Kirishima POV:

The day Kaminari came back, he seemed different. Really different. It's not like Kirishima expected him to be jumping for joy, he honestly didn't know what to expect, but none of them had ever seen Kaminari sad before. When the squad came in they found him sitting at his desk. Early. He was even earlier than Iida. Just sitting, staring blankly at his desk.

"Hey man!" Me and Jirou ran up to him. She gave him a hug and Kirishima smiled, but he didn't show any emotion. "We missed you, are you okay?"
"Fine." His voice sounded hollow. "Sorry to worry you."

"You idiot, you don't have to apologize!" Jirou's expression softened. "I'm sorry about your mom."

"Thanks." He said quietly. The rest of the class came in and greeted Kaminari, but something was wrong with him. It's like he lost his energy. Kirishima sat at his desk beside him.

"Hey, it's okay to not be okay Kaminari." said Kirishima quietly, so no one else would hear. Kaminari looked up at him and Kirishima felt his heart stop. His eyes, they're so... His eyes were dull and lifeless, dry of all hope. He was always so happy before, so excited and full of life, but now it was all gone.

"I'm fine." he said.

"Kami-"

"Quiet down problem children! It's time to start class!" Everyone quieted down, but the whole class felt the sort of dull emptiness in the room. It had been there since Kaminari had left, but now it was bigger. You never notice how important something is until it's gone.