Vaelum Art Contest

Start from the beginning

Varian wandered the village in search of Yong, who he found sitting on a hay bale, eating an apple.
"Hey- Yong. There's an art contest on and I need a partner. Sounds fun, right?" Varian smiled and Yong beamed in excitement.
"Yeah, it does!" He looked aside for a moment, thinking, then looked back at Varian, "But I can't. All that swimming we done during the trial really- hurt my arm."
"Really?" Varian didn't seem convinced.
"Yeah, it really hurts- I don't think I can do any art." Yong sighed.
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah...maybe you should ask Hugo." Yong suggested.
"Yong, I know what you're doing."
"What do you mean?" Yong asked innocently.
"I know you want everyone to get along and I'm trying not to despise him, but I do."
"Maybe you need to try a little harder." Yong crossed his arms and Varian heaved a heavy sigh.
"Ok. I'll ask Hugo to be my partner. Is that what you want?" Varian asked and Yong nodded.
The two walked off in search of Hugo and they found him talking to a man just outside the village, by a wheat field. Varian hid behind a cart and pulled Yong beside him. They watched the blonde talking, the usual smug expression on his face.
Varian watched him pull out his pendant and the man he was talking to took out a handful of coins. He moved from behind the cart and walked over to Hugo.
"You really can't help yourself, can you?" Varian asked angrily and the man Hugo had tried to sell to left quickly.
The blonde watched the man leave and then looked to Varian, "What're you mad about? It's not like I'm trying to sell off yours."
"That's not the point! That pendant is a reminder that you done something good...and you want to sell it?"
"What else am I gonna do with it?"
"Keep it." Varian crossed his arms.
"Well you've kinda already made that decision for me." Hugo gestured in the direction the man had gone.
Yong gave Varian an encouraging look and the boy very reluctantly smiled at Hugo.
"Ok, I'm sorry. What you did was inconsiderate and wrong-" Varian started and Yong nudged him, "but it's not my place to tell you what to do."
"Yup." Hugo smirked.
"Don't you think you should apologise too?"
"Why would I? I didn't do anything I feel was wrong."
"You- you were about to sell something that a nice- kind woman gave to you for helping her and her village!"
"You just said it's my decision. I'm not gonna apologise to make you feel better."
Varian contained himself and put his hands together, taking a sharp breath in then out. He put on a smile again, "Hugo, would you like to be my partner for an art contest?"
Hugo looked to Varian then Yong and back again, "The kid set you up to this?" Hugo asked.
"Unimportant!" Varian responded through gritted teeth.
"Sure. I'd love to be your partner, Goggles." Hugo grinned.
"Don't- say it like that."

Varian returned to the barn-house with Hugo and Yong, and Alice smiled at the sight of them.
"You came back!" She smiled.
"As promised." Varian responded.
"Who're your friends?" Alice asked kindly.
"Alice, this is Yong, and Hugo." Varian gestured to the boys.
"It's nice to meet you both. So which one of you is Varian's partner?" Alice asked.
"That would be me." Hugo smirked.
"Great. Follow me inside and we'll set you up a work table." Alice led the boys inside the barn.

"So, what's the plan, Stripes?"
"That's a new one." Varian replied, "Where do your artistic talents lie?"
"Modelling." Hugo grinned.
"Har har."
"Well, you're not half bad at inventing. Let's create a sculpture or something."
"That's...not a bad idea."
"It's been known to happen."
Yong was off making friends, leaving Varian and Hugo to 'bond'. The peace between the two didn't last long, however, as they argued about what subject to use for their sculpture.
"Is everything alright over here?" Alice asked nervously when she overheard the boys disagreement. Varian smiled at the girl, "We're just...having a little trouble deciding what to make."
Hugo looked at Varian while he spoke then looked back at Alice, "We're fine, thanks." The blonde responded bluntly. Varian nudged him after Alice had returned to her friend Emma.
"You didn't need to be rude to her, she was being nice."
"This is a competition, Goggles."
"A friendly competition."
"She is our competition. Let's just- create a sculpture of Yong."
"You want to make a sculpture of Yong?" Varian laughed slightly.
"I don't hear you suggesting anything better."
"Alright. Yong it is."