Chapter Five: He Likes His Girls Insane (under rewrite)

A/N: Under construction and hasn't been completed. Things may be off.

Rebecca had just walked out of the bathroom when the Grandfather clock in the Chambers' hall chimed, telling her it was eight o'clock.

Ace was half an hour late.

She shook the bad feeling in her gut away before entering her bedroom, ready to do a frantic search for the red-halter top that she had scored from one of her raids down in Chamberlain, but her search would have to wait...

"Get out of my room!" she seethed at her two younger brothers.

Emery, the youngest of the two at age five, was currently rustling underneath the covers of her bed.

Sheldon, aged nine, was on all fours on the carpet searching for something underneath her wardrobe.

"What on earth are you doing?" Rebecca said through gritted teeth as she watched with a scowl.

Emery emerged from underneath the covers, his wild blonde hair all over the place. In just a few more days - before he started elementary school - his curls would be turned into a crew cut, just like his older brothers.

Sheldon quickly got to his feet and looked coyly up at her. "Daddy's lost his gun," he said solemnly. "He told us to go find it, or we won't have a behind to sit on."

"Well, I don't have it!" Rebecca sighed, she didn't have time for this. "He probably left it outside. Get Christopher to help ya! Before you shoot someone's head off."

"BANG! BANG!" Emery yelled, shooting at her with his two finger pistol.

She glared at him and he quickly holstered his imaginary gun into the scruffy and torn pocket of his jeans.

"Chris ain't here." Sheldon shrugged.

"Well, where is he? Little shit's supposed to be watching yous."

"He's camping out at Fatty Tessio's backyard."

The boy behind the cruel ridicule was Vern; Billy's younger brother. Sheldon had once heard his father call him that and the nickname had stuck ever since.

"FATTY TESSIO! FATTY TESSIO!" Emery taunted as he jumped up and down on her bed.

"Right, that's it!" Rebecca lunged at Emery and grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, pulling him off of her bed.

She then grabbed Sheldon with her free hand and slung the two boisterous little boys out of her bedroom.

"Beat it, you little runts!" she seethed and then slammed her bedroom door shut, with the strength that only a girl with younger siblings could understand.

She could still hear them hooting and hollering as she searched for her top. With her mother and little sister Debbie away to visit her Aunt in Lewiston, her brothers were free to run riot, and, boy... they could run a marathon.

Rebecca admired herself in the mirror, she put the finishing touches to her outfit by tying her neckerchief into a perfect bow. Her hair was pinned up to one side, her make up immaculate, her red lipstick matched her top perfectly and her black pants clung to her body in a way that was bound to get anybody's attention.

But it wasn't just anybody's attention she was after it was somebody else's and unfortunately he never showed.

After endless minutes had come and gone and there was still no sign of Ace, Rebecca removed the pins from her hair, letting her curls run wild and free; just like her temper.

She snatched her clutch from the top of her dresser and stormed down the stairs.

Stepping over Emery and Sheldon who were playing a game of rough house on the hallway floor, Rebecca entered the living room.