Chapter Eleven - Time To Learn Of The Past

Start from the beginning

"But all those men were unsuitable, I cannot and will not let Daphne marry a cheat or someone from a dubious lineage. I would never disgrace her in such a way" he replied trying to get Jen to see his point of view.

"Anthony... I know you are doing what you believe to be correct but perhaps you could step back a bit and let Daphne speak to some suitors. Her marriage proposals come through you and you can always advise her who not to marry, but please just give her a chance my love" she sighed hoping he would reign back ever so slightly, allowing Daphne a chance at finding love and a suitable husband.

"I guess I could step back a small bit, but only because I know you have Daphne's best interests at heart" he mused while looking straight into Jen's eyes, seeing her smile grateful for his answer. She knew that was hard for him to say, now she just had to hope he would be a man of his word, not for her sake but for poor Daphne's so that she would not be stuck with Lord Berbrooke as her only option for a husband.

"Thank you, Anthony, you know it would mean a great deal to me" she replied before leaning over and giving him a chaste kiss on the lips.

With a small kiss all of Anthony's anger and problems seemed to fade away. When he was around Jen all of his problems would disappear and he is now the happiest man in the ton. Not pleased that their kiss ended so quickly Anthony leaned over and planted another kiss on her lips, savouring every second it lasts because moments like these happen far and few between these days.

"I have missed being able to do that" he sighed, leaning his forehead against hers.

"As have I" she breathed back, with eyes closed savouring this very moment. One she had wished for since Anthony had left her alone in bed the morning after the Danbury Ball.

"Perhaps in hindsight, you may be right... perhaps I have not done what is best for Daphne" he contemplated aloud while opening his eyes to see her reaction.

"Might be right?" she challenged with a smirk.

"Hilarious, as ever my dear" he sassed back,

"But now that we have a moment alone at last, perhaps we could talk about that night five years ago. I believe we both need some clarity my love" she started, not wanting to ruin the moment, but knowing it was finally time they both got answers and were no longer left in the dark.

Nodding her head in agreement, she knew this conversation would have to occur at one point, she just hoped for it not to come this soon.

"How about I begin?" he enquired, waiting for her response, in case she wished to recount her side of events first.

"If that is what you wish my love" she stated, unsure whether she wished to relive her side first or not.

"Alright so..." and with that Anthony began to recount his version of what happened to him five years prior.

{A.N: this is a flashback to what was previously in chapter 6, feel free to skip down past the parts in italics}

5 Years Earlier:

With as much haste as he had Anthony packed a small bag with sufficient clothing and money for him to take Jen to Scotland so they could be wed by as early as tomorrow or the day after.

As he approached the door to leave his chambers, his father entered with a wide smile gracing his face.

"My dear boy, so glad I caught you before you disappeared into the night with young Mr Basset once more" he said with a chuckle, "I would like to discuss with you a few mat- "