Chapter 3 - Broken Omega

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I sighed heavily, my fingers tensing on the wheel. Rogues are a sensitive topic and I had to make sure the kid wasn't going to make any prejudice mistake in the future. "Rogues are what they are because they have no pack. Werewolves need packs to survive."

The forest flew past as I sped to our destination while I tried to explain it as best as I could. "We go there, check the condition of the possible rogue out. If it's gone feral, we have to put it out of its misery. If not, we can rehabilitate it and find the right pack for the wolf."

Dimitri frowned, brown eyes darkening slightly as he narrowed them. "Does it happen often that you come across a rogue that, you know...can't be saved?"

"More than I'd like." I grunted, focusing on the road instead of the memories that flooded through my mind. What's done is done; at least the poor bastards didn't need to suffer anymore.

The rest of the ride was silent, filled with heavy anticipation. When we finally made it to the center, it looked like Dimitri was pumped and nervous at the same time. Knowing that it could be a hard time for the rookie, I patted him on the shoulder and shot him a reassuring smile before leading him into the vet's section of the ASPCA center.

The stench of chemicals, blood and the fear of the animals slammed in our faces, proving too much for the inexperienced Dimitri as he took a step back, shaking his head with a snort. "You'll get used to it." I reassured, trying my best not to curl my nose up at the stench.

Amelia spotted glanced up and smiled warmly, standing up from her desk. "Thanks for answering our call so quickly." She greeted professionally as she quickly guided us to the back, though I was a bit surprised that she wasn't leading us to the recovery room.

"So, how did you come across this wolf of yours?" I asked politely as Dimitri looked around curiously. Amelia curled her nose up in disgust before she spat out. "Dog fighters. I don't know how they got a hold of him since they refuse to talk without a lawyer present."

My jaw clenched in anger before I took a calming breath, instantly sharing looks with Dimitri as he followed my example and nodded once. Seems like this was a rogue, judging from the scent that was barely clinging on Amelia.

"How the hell did a rogue fall in the hands of dog fighters?" Dimitri questioned as we came to a halt near the surgery room. I shrugged; "Must've trapped him." was my reply as I prepared myself, my hope already non-existing.

If the rogue had been used in dog fighting, there was no doubt in my mind that they turned it into a vicious and mindless animal instead of the proud wolf it used to be. I sighed regretfully before I pushed past the swinging doors.

And came to a grinding halt as the rogue's scent slammed into me, a scent that made both Dimitri and I whimper through the mind link we shared. The scent of honeysuckle was heavy in the air as it circled around us.

I felt ice-cold rage rush over my spine as my wolf started to snarl venomously, my protective instincts kicking in. Honeysuckle was the typical scent of a werewolf pup and as I stepped around the vet, I had to close my eyes and swallow heavily to force my wolf back.

Dimitri was scowling at the floor, looking anywhere but the pup as his anger and disgust flooded the link. How dare they? How dare those humans to toss a pup into a fighting pit?

Steeling myself, I slowly lowered my eyes to the surgery table, where the vet just finished stitching the pup up, spraying antiseptic on the stiches.

Compassion overwhelmed me as I looked down at the small, emaciated fluff of matted fur that was sprawled out on the table. My eyes were glued on the pup as the vet closed the anesthetic, tapping the wounded pup gently on the corner of its eye before he nodded to himself and removed the intubation tube from its jaws.