Chapter 29: Eli 2.0

Start from the beginning

His eyebrows furrow as he meets the brunette's gaze. All four of the males look at her in bewilderment. This wasn't good. Not even a little bit. His mother expected him to have these great plans for Yaya and all he'd had were the balloons and papel picado Zelena had instructed him to purchase. Her hands clap together, her eyes drifitng off to the left side as a car pulls into the parking area.

Another brunette teen and her mother step out of the vehicle the second it parks and go around to the trunk. Miguel raises his eyebrow again, jaw dropping slightly as he eyes between the two new arrivals and Zelena standing there. "Did you get the papel picado?" She cooly inquires, grinning back at him. He nods wordlessly. "Then you did your job. Sam and I ran to the store the other day and got everything else. So, now boys, all hands on deck. Chop chop."
--------------------------------
The teen's eyes run over her reflection in the mirror her uncle had bought her for her birthday and her hands drift to the waistband of the skirt, tugging to even it out around her waist. A goofy grin places itself over her lips as she catches a drift of her uncle's voice from the other side of the wall, most likely warning Eli about his behavior and how to proceed from here on out. Zelena twirls, focusing her eyes on the flow of the skirt she had managed to convince herself to buy the last time she'd gone to Target. And then her mind returns to her best friend who had taken her home.

Zelena's hand wraps around the bend of Eli's elbow, so gently that he nearly misses the brush of her fingers against his skin. His eyebrows furrow in concern, immediately turning to steal a glance at his best friend to ensure her safety. "What's wrong? You feel okay?"

She nods her head with a growing smile playing on her lips as she steps to the side, into the hallway and away from prying eyes. "Did you drive here today?" Her words are whispered and he slowly nods, trying to foresee where this conversation is leading. "Can you drive me home really quick so I can change? Yaya should be here in an hour."

His lips part, nearly questioning why she chose to ask him instead of the LaRusso women, but he reconsiders. Her trust in him to take her somewhere warms his heart and he grins at her, "Yea, of course. Let me just go tell Miguel that we'll be back."

The ride was quiet, but he allowed her to choose the songs and he smiled at her whenever she'd sung along quietly. It was almost like old Eli. But he didn't glance away when she caught his eye and he even playfully poked her when she stuck her tongue out at him.

Her cheeks warm once more, even burning when his voice flows from the other side of the door following a light rap against the wood, "You okay in there, Angel? I mean, Zelena." He clears his throat and Zelena crosses the small space to her door. Her hand turns the knob, pulling back the door to reveal Eli whose skin is tinged a light pink. His eyes draw up her body, drinking in every little detail of her navy blue skirt decorated with flowers and accompanying burnt orange blouse tucked into the waistband. "Converse?" It's a rhetorical question pushed through his lips by a laugh the second his eyes retrace to the matching shade of orange tennis shoe.

"Converse. I won't trip- well, I won't stumble." She corrects herself, already knowing she could be quite clumsy at times. And there was a strong possibility he would playfully hold her own words against her should he catch her tripping over thin air anytime in the evening.

"Skirt?"

"Skirt." She immediately affirms, raising her right eyebrow impishly at his rather inquistive behavior. "Are we going to stand here so you can list all the items of my outfit? Because I could do it very quickly for you. You know, button up shirt, wrist watch-" He shushes the teen, swatting the air in front of him in an attempt to get her to quiet down.

"I don't think I've seen you all dressed up without the necessity since," Uncle Rob begins with amazement written across his worry-lined face.

Zelena clears her throat, redirecting the attention from her voice broken guardian back onto her. "Yea." There's an awkward silence surrounding the three who have no idea how to continue the conversation. The brunette teen slaps her thighs with a soft smile on her lips as she draws her eyes back to her uncle who's still staring at her. "Well, we need to head back. I'll text you when I'm on my way home!"