1

PICTURE PERFECT

PICTURE PERFECT

Just a few more blocks, I said to myself. You're going to make it on time. There's no need to worry. Even as those thoughts ran through my mind, I still found it hard to believe in them.

My small hands gripped the steering wheel and my eyes were locked onto the street light in front of me. I felt as if I was a racecar driver waiting for the light to turn green. As my fingers tapped the wheel rapidly, my phone began to ring on the passenger's side seat. Before I could answer, the light turned green and my foot hit the gas.

Why was I in such a hurry? Because this was my third job in the last six months and I couldn't afford to lose another one. Judging on the fifteen missed calls, my manager had been calling me since early this morning. If my roommate hadn't been in the shower for over an hour, maybe I could've made it to work on time.

I worked at a local restaurant in Incheon that was known for its interesting take on Korean Street Food. I was able to make a few friends, but I could never get along with the Manager. She would really be mad this time.

I finally made it to the restaurant and quickly parked my car in the employee parking spaces. Tucked under my dominant arm was my work apron and my greasy hair was pulled back into a low ponytail; I really needed to make a time schedule in the mornings for my roommate and I.

As soon as I stepped in the building, I could tell how chaotic and out of order the restaurant was. My Manager strides over to me with an angry expression and I mentally prayed that I won't get into too much trouble. "You're an hour late." Manager Kim said as she checked her wrist watch.

"I know and I'm so sorry. My roommate was hogging the bathroom this morning so I didn't have enough time to take a proper shower—" I say. Manager Kim holds up a dismissive hand and shakes her head. Uh oh.

"Enough excuses." She says just as a customer raises their hand to have their order taken. Manager Kim moves around the restaurant as I follow close behind her, mimicking her exact movements. "You show up late, once, maybe twice a month. I can't afford to keep an unreliable employee."

"Manager Kim, please. I can't afford to lose this job. I'll do better—I promise." After the order has been taken, she quietly thanks the customer and continues moving about the restaurant. When we were alone in the kitchen, she sighs and places her hands on her hips.

"It isn't only the fact that you are always late, it's that you are a terrible worker. Just this week alone, we've gotten complaints regarding your work flow. And I have experienced it first hand as well. It's like you haven't worked at day in your life." My hands got so clammy that I had to wipe them on my pressed pants.

"There must be something that I can do." I pleaded Manager Kim with my eyes.

"Yes. Please have your locker cleaned out by close tonight." She walks away and I close my eyes in frustration; another job lost because of my carelessness. The first job that I had gotten was as a deliveryman five months ago, but I had gotten fired because I lost numerous packages. The second job was only a month ago and I was fired from my retail job for accidentally switching the price tags on expensive items.