chapter thirty-one

Start from the beginning

“It just rained yesterday so the grass will be quite muddy, don't you think?”

“Ugh, but I wanna wear these now!" Lilian pouted as she crossed her arms.

Helia also crossed his arms and pouted to imitate his daughter, which made her giggle at first. “Would Mom like you to ruin your new crocs with mud?”

“No...”

He stood up on his feet. “Is it nice for children to act badly and not listen? Mom said she doesn't like when you act like this, don't hurt her feelings.”

“No, Mom never said that. No, no, no! I'm not bad! You are!” She stomped her feet, throwing a tantrum as Helia sighed and watched her do so, while processing - since Lilian can be sweet, sometimes.

He massaged his eyebrows and pinched his nose to think before speaking, especially in situations like this with his daughter of three years. “Lia-- Okay, sorry if I was bad to you. What about you?”

“I'm sorry I was bad to you, Daddy!” Lilian whimpered and hugged his leg. “Sorry!”

Helia chuckled and brushed his fingers on his daughter's soft wavy hair. After a few other fits from Lilian, Helia managed to put on her proper shoes and let her eat her grapes as a snack in peace before leaving so when she'll go to Alyssa's and Rhodos', Flora's parents, she'll get tired after playing occasional minutes and nap.

Eventually, the dark-haired man clenched his daughter's hand as he closed the door of his house. He turned around and, while locking the door, he hoped not to visualize about Flora being tugged away somewhere and he wasn't there to defend her.

Lilian commenced pulling her father's hand. “Dad... Dad, Dad, Dad!” She pointed at something.

Helia blinked repeatedly in commotion and came back from his daydream as he was lost in his thoughts and was confused at the beginning of where she was talking about. “What, what, what? What did you see, Lili?”

“Oh... nothing.”

“What did you see?!” He gently shook her shoulder but she shrugged it off.

“Stop, it was nothing! You're scaring me!” Though, after that, she hid behind her father's leg and wrapped her arms around.

Although, Helia was not buying it and had to remind himself to check it out later. Whatever he suspected Lilian to have seen, it must be a clue left behind of how to get back Flora. Anything could be useful. In the meanwhile, he behaved neutral.

“Do you still want to go to Granpa's house?”

Lilian unhesitatingly nodded. “Yes! Let's go.”

-

“We arrived!” Helia exclaimed when he stopped on the doorstep, in front of a dark wooden door. “Do you want to knock on the door?” He questioned his daughter as her emerald green eyes lightened up at the idea and nodded instantly. With her minuscule hand, Lilian knocked on the wooden door and waited for someone to answer.

Not many seconds later, a lady in her 40s, answered the door cluelessly but when she saw her daughter's husband and granddaughter waiting behind, she was able to pull off a smile of relief then buried her face in her hands.

She didn't see much of Flora lately and the rumours going around didn't make her feel any better and every day she keeps worrying more and more, so Alyssa wasn't looking decent much, which Helia quite observed.

“Helia, oh my...” Alyssa, Flora's mother, was at a loss of words then remembered Lilian. “My sweet Lili, you keep getting more beautiful every day! Want to come in? Abuelo is bored anyways and needs someone to talk to. Okay?”