chapter thirty-one

Comincia dall'inizio

“Yeah! Mom won't beat us!” Lilian lifted her fist and Helia gently bumped his against hers. “Oh, Daddy, your hand! Is that a boo-boo?”

“Uh?” Helia looked at the messed up bandage with a red stain. “I hurt myself but since Mom is still not here I had to try to do it myself. I did good, right?”

Lilian shook her head. “No. Mom would've done better.”

Helia frowned and tilted his head. “I see, what happened with being Dad's girl?”

“I'm a Lilian girl.”

“Alright. Yes, you are. Now, let's brush our teeth then I'll make you some waffles. Deal?” He raised his hand that wasn't injured and waited for his daughter to high-five him.

Instead, she proudly punched his hand. “Deal!”

-

“Voilá!” Helia said in front of the bathroom mirror with Lilian sitting on a high chair because he attempted in the first time in a while of his lifetime, to do his daughter's hair.

Lilian glanced at her dad then proceeded to shake her head. “You tried Dad, you tried.”

Helia was startled because of her bold-faced, yet quite funny, attitude but he didn't mind it, considering that's what he had to keep up with every day - along with Flora.

Just the thought of her, made his soul wounded once again and tears emerged from his blue eyes. He tried to push them back because Lilian was with him so she wasn't supposed to witness his condition.

“Are you gonna cry? I was joking! I love it, Dad!” The little girl reassured as she smiled and admired her hair to cheer up her father. “Look, I'm pretty too! Like Mommy!”

“Hm, yes, you are.” Helia couldn't help but chuckle. “C'mon, let's get ready for Grandma and Granpa.” He assisted Lilian to come down from the chair by picking her up and leading her back on the floor.

“Will I play with Aunt Miele?” Lilian hopped excitedly, clapping her hands, which saddened Helia. He found it upsetting that his daughter was unaware of everything but he had to keep a smile because she was too young to understand anyway.

“Yes, you can play all you want. In the meanwhile, I'll try to convince Mommy to stop playing hide-n-seek.”

“Okay! I'll get my backpack!”

And the little girl sprinted out of the bathroom as Helia sighed and squatted on the high chair Lilian was sat on earlier. He stared at Flora's bracelet on his wrist, which brought back memories when she was still there with him: their family walks, picnics, cooking together, conversations before going to sleep, etc...

Helia never anticipated for such a situation to come to pass but he was grieving, hard.

He was looking for his wife for the last three days but it was exclusive because he still had to individually take care of his daughter. The dark-haired man couldn't even provoke himself to let Lilian sleep by herself because she kept having nightmares, so she was sleeping with her father but her father didn't sleep much because he had to guard. He had because he lost Flora by letting his guard down.

“I'll bring you back home, I swear. Even if saving you sends me to Heaven...”

“I got it!” Lilian appeared at the doorframe of the bathroom with a little backpack consisted of little flowers as decor. The little girl pointed at her feet. “Look, I did it myself!”

Helia stood up, smiling as he kneeled and put his hand on her shoulder. “Those are your crocs, not your shoes.”

“But I wanna wear these!”