seventeen • dear lady

Depuis le début

"My fault, unfortunately." She admitted, looking to him apologetically. "A dancer must always practice."

"I have never been fortunate enough to view one of your performances." He told her with a smirk.

"We will just have to change that then, won't we?"

Anthony walked up, handing a glass of water to the girl, who gratefully accepted it- being an extremely warm day. "How are you today, Miss Granville?"

"Quite well," she smiled. "And you?"

"Better now." Benedict huffed, rolling his eyes at his brother.

After catching the love bite on Sevyn's neck at the wedding, he instantly got defensive- knowing what endured that previous night between her and his brother. He was angry, oh, most definitely. In fact, he was tempted to push a marriage on the pair, but knew Sevyn would never agree, and they were in the clear. They engaged in the affair within the security of the estate, and no one would find out unless they studied the girl as closely as he did that afternoon.

He also feared the girl too much to tell her she had to do anything.

Hearing the sound of Colin clearing his throat, all eyes were drawn to him. "I would like to make a small, but rather important announcement." Colin began, his eyes locking with his eldest brother. "I have happy news to impart." By the look he gave to Marina, Sevyn could feel the anger radiating off of Anthony, who soon recognized what was about to be said. "I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

He didn't even try to hide his unhappy expression, looking to Sevyn and questioning, "did you know about this?"

"Not a thing, my lord." She lied, the crowd erupted in applause, but the Bridgerton's all stood, dumbfounded.

Violet looked like someone had just punched her in the gut as the band resumed, and congratulating words were exchanged.

Stalking away from the girl and his brother, Anthony moved to his mother, whispering into her ear, "did you know about it?"

She kept a smile on her face, as she responded, "people are looking, dear." Releasing a sigh, she looked to Benedict and Sevyn, and stated, "congratulate the happy couple."

Latching onto Benedict's arm, she followed into the center to Colin, who couldn't seem to break eye contact with her. "Congratulations, Colin." He gave her a wide smile, thankful that he knew he could always count on her.

At home the next morning, Sevyn practiced her sketching- having not paid attention to it in quite some time.

Hearing the arrival of her father, leaning against the entryway, she offered a small smile. "I have not seen you around in awhile." He stated sullenly. "I have missed you."

"I have not been far." She sighed, bringing her attention back to the work.

"Pardon me." He huffed, eyeing the child cautiously. "Are you alright, Sev?" She looked up puzzled, "you have not been the same in quite some time."

"I'm fine-" she heard the sound of someone clearing their throat. Lucy stood behind her husband.

"Colin Bridgerton is here to see you." She stated, pulling Henry away from the parlor.

The Bridgerton boy walked in, gently removing his top hat, "Morning, Sev." He smiled, pacing up to her, pressing his lips to her knuckles, "I had to come to show you my appreciation."

"Colin, you mustn't-"

"But I must!" He exclaimed, his smile never leaving his face. "I knew Anthony would never agree with it, but you-" he chuckled, "I always knew I could trust you, Sev."

The girl smiled at her friend, washing the charcoal off her hands. "You must not thank me, Colin." He shook his head at her her playfully. "Just think about my kind acts in the future."

"I most certainly will, Sevyn." He laughed, never dropping her hand. "You are the greatest friend I could have asked for!" He exclaimed, pulling her into his embrace from the stool. She suddenly turned serious. "Sev..." he sighed. "Is this about Anthony?"

"No!" She quickly responded. "No, it is not about Anthony."

"Then it is about Benedict." He smirked.

"Colin!"

"I am right!" He chanted, "I always am right, you know?"

The girl could not hold back her laughs, smacking his arm gently. "If you say so."

"But what is wrong, Sev?"

"I..." he narrowed his eyes at her, wishing for her to continue- no more stalling. "I think I love him, Colin."