.xii

CATACLYSM
☽☾
"ONLY A MATTER OF TIME"

AMARA STOOD still as she stared ahead at the files. Jyn and Cassian both worked to pull off their Imperial disguises but Amara just stood there. Tears still stained her cheeks from her friend's very recent passing and her eyes still held a redness but she had long since stopped crying. There would be time to properly deal with K2's death, but now was not the time. So she did what she always did, she bottled everything away and pushed it as far down as it could go. Amara Vell had become numb to the world around her.

Her eyes fixed freely on the numerous files before them. Nothing stood in their way of getting the file anymore, not since Jyn shot out the glass wall separating the two. "Don't tell me you plan on keeping that on?" Cassian asked. 

His worried gaze had remained fixed on her ever since what happened to K2. He knew how she reacted in times like this, how she shut down entirely and became nothing but an empty shell. He's only ever seen her do it once before, after the explosion accident on Tatooine that took her friend's life and her leg, but he was no stranger to the aftermath when she finally allowed herself to cry. 

Amara's blank gaze never left the files as she shrugged. A frown was quick to form on Cassian's face as his eyes trailed across her face in search for anything that said she would be fine, although he doubted any of them would actually be fine after this mission. "Trust me." Jyn spoke as she stepped in the line of Amara's view. "That won't be fun to climb in."

Amara merely shrugged once more before turning away from both Jyn and the files. Cassian tried desperately to read the look on her face that had broken through her emotionless state, but he didn't even think he could decipher no matter how hard he tried. A heavy sigh fell past her lips as he turned her head so her eyes locked with Cassian's.

"I'm not going to make that jump." She spoke for the first time since the death of K2SO.

Cassian's brows pulled together in confusion. "What are you talking about?" He asked, even though he knew exactly what she was talking about. The jump from their position to the closest data tower was one none of them would be able to make without a proper push off. 

"It's too far." Amara said as she hugged her arms around her chest. "I won't make it."

"Of course you can." Jyn encouraged, her voice taking on a lighter tone as if she was trying to coax Amara into believing it herself. But the sad truth was that Amara wouldn't make the jump, it was much too far for her one leg to push herself towards.