XLIII - The Dark Mark

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I know. Somehow, I was able to block out everyone while in the stadium. It was way too noisy."

"Alright, well, you should go back to the Lovegoods, they'll be worried-" as he said that, she heard Luna calling out behind her and she knew that she had to go back. 

"You don't understand, I had a sort of vision-"

"You need to go," said Regulus firmly, and Astra knew he was right. So, she turned, but not before seeing a dark shadow of a skull and snake take place in the sky.

***

Astra, Luna, and Xenophilius stayed in the woods for the rest of the night. At one point, Lily arrived to explain everything that happened about a house-elf and Barty Crouch, though they didn't see who it was that cast the mark.

She tried to keep her reactions minimal, seeing as Xenophilius was still there, but Luna noticed and said quietly in her ear, "Tell me later."

Astra nodded, though she was bursting with the urge to tell her and Lily, James, and Regulus about the vision and the Dark Mark and the house-elf.

Early in the morning, they returned to the tent before trying to get a port-key ready. As soon as they got to the Lovegood house, however, Astra was brought into a bone-crushing hug from Minerva McGonagall. 

"Goodness gracious... Thank you, Xenophilius, I was so worried..."

"Don't worry, I'm alright," Astra chuckled, though she wondered whether to tell her about what she had seen. She knew she would send a letter to Sirius as soon as possible, but Minnie didn't need to know... yet.

She gave a nod to Luna, saying she would send a letter, and Minnie apparated her to Hogsmeade.

***

Astra reassured Minnie several times that she was just fine, and was finally able to get back to her dorm where she started a letter.

Dear Padfoot,

                        You might have heard about the incident at the Quidditch World Cup. The match itself was amazing (I went with Luna and her dad). At one point, though, I got a sort of vision. I don't know if you know this, but the reason I did Divination in the first place was because it was said that my ability often came with the powers of a seer. Well, I didn't think much of this. I've never actually had a vision before. I have been able to see things in crystal balls and so on, but never actually by myself.

                          I don't honestly know why I tried to forget about it, but I did in all the commotion of the game. But the vision included the dark mark in the sky. I didn't think it would be possible in the Quidditch World Cup of all places, but it was. I woke up late (or actually, early) with people screaming outside. We quickly ran to the forest, but Xeno isn't that good at apparating, so we waited. 

                         I may or may not have run off to check the safety of the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry, seeing as they seemed to be the ones who would most likely be in danger. Reg managed to get me to go back to the Lovegoods, but I did see the Dark Mark in the sky, just like in my vision.

                          Later, Lils and Prongs told me the whole story. It actually did involve, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, along with Barty Crouch and his house-elf. I'll tell you more later, but I don't want to give too much information in this letter.

Lots of love,

Astra

She copied the information of the vision and the house-elf story to a letter for Luna, and headed to the owlery, where she sent off both of the letters.

It was worrying, with everything going on, but she returned to the library, hoping to get some clues for the events, to no return.

On her way back to the dorms, she remembered a letter that would be good to send. Once again, she relayed the story, leaving out the information of the vision, but also gave information of her dad in a letter to Remus Lupin. She felt a bit guilty for not writing him at all, but knew it was because she always knew what was happening in his life due to Lily and James. 

Once again, Astra wondered whether she should tell him the truth, but decided maybe one day she would have to anyway. It just wasn't the time yet.

***

The next few days were spent in her usual schedule as she mainly focused on the last part of the Animagus process. Before the Quidditch World Cup, she had finished holding the mandrake leaf in her mouth, leaving the only step left the potion and the spell.

Of course, McGonagall was experienced, making it much easier for Astra, and she couldn't help but think that maybe she would pay her dad a visit in owl form if he ever came closer to the school.

The potion was finished in that week, leaving her to only prepare for the school year. She had also met the house-elf that had been freed from Barty Crouch, Winky, but couldn't get anything out of her as she was mostly drunk. Along with her, Dobby had also joined Hogwarts, the strange one who actually wanted freedom. Most of the other house-elves looked at him with disgust, while Astra thought it was quite adorable. He was a rather funny elf, and she made a mental note to visit him more often during the school year.

She would once again go to Kings Cross, but this time she was actually looking forward to it. She was glad to see Hermione and Luna again, even if they had seen each other at the World Cup.

Astra sometimes dozed off, hoping for some sort of signal of what all of the unrelated but suspicious events would lead too, but she hadn't had a vision since the Dark Mark.

If only she had seen what was coming towards them.